Sharp tv not so sharp

Hi, I recently got a Sharp widescreen tv. My brother has just got a Sony widescreen same size as mine. The Sony is much brighter and sharper than mine. Is this because of more complex circuitry, or a better quality tube in the Sony? Thanks. David

Reply to
David Sewell

To start with, sharp is generally inferior overall quality- wise to Sony, plus Sony use the trinitron tube design (the tube has fine wires instead of the usual shadowmask) which some say gives a sharper and brighter picture. (Others however say it is too 'revealing' or gritty and claim the aforementioned lines are visible.)

That said, to make the best of your sharp set,I advise you to check the picture settings - many sets tend to come shipped with the brightness and contrast etc pushed way up, or generally not well adjusted. ideally you need to make the adjustments depending on your personal taste and the viewing area. As a rule, your brightness ought to be set so that black parts of the scene (peoples' coats, for example) are no brighter than the screen itself, and contrast set so as white areas have no trailing or jagged edges on vertical lines. hope this helps

-B.

tube

Thanks, I've tried various settings of brightness and contrast and there is no way to get a match to the Sony. The detail is just not there. I notice it is possible to see that the left and right sides of the picture phospher strips are more visible than the central area. Just a crap tv I guess. Thanks, David

Reply to
David Sewell

You will not be able to get the performance from your Sharp set as that of the Sony. I would suggest trading it in for the same model that your friend has.

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD flat panel sets, they're stunning. There is an old saying, "When you buy a reputable product, you get what you pay for".

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Thanks, But I read somewhere that a good quality crt tube gives better resolution than plasma and lcd? hope that statement don't start a blitz!!

David

Reply to
David Sewell

Wont' get any argument from me. My HDTV is a Sony KD-34XBR960 ... its a 34" (widescreen) CRT. The picture is, simply, the best picture I've ever seen on any TV set of any make, size or style ... Period!

Bill

Reply to
Darmok

And I'm sure the old Thorn Ferguson TX10 ( well setup and with a pristine tube) would knock spots off of a lot of the crap around today.

David

Reply to
David Sewell

Good can mean a number of different things, and a lot of it is personal preference. A good CRT (as in a high end Sony, etc) will look better in most ways than LCD, and the contrast ratio is likely to be better than plasma, but the geometry of the flat panel technologies is perfect and while a very good CRT can be close, it'll never be quite as good.

Reply to
James Sweet