Samsung S5 earphonr jack

  the S5 female was bent out by the dealer. Is there an insert or DIY fix for too large females ?

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

I had the same problem on a media player.  The earphone plug just
rattled around in the jack and was intermittent.  It was a piece of
junk and not worth fixing, but I just couldn't throw it away.  So, I
built a pigtail, with a male 3.5mm plug on one and a female 3.5mm
receptacle on the other.  To increase the plug diameter, I just built
up the plug diameter by applying some solder to the plug.  I also
reamed out the jack to a slightly larger hole size so the soldered
plug would fit.  I'm not very proud of this jack but it was cheap,
easy, and worked long enough for me to find a better player.

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack
https://goo.gl/kDK0d3

There's a group of 'schematics'

Serious work fir 2 channels but mono's OK ...not sure if S5 delivers mono.

There is the problem of a silicone sheath ground 'wire' in there ? If so heating the tip burns off the Si prob crimped in...is this correct ?

How about an AL or copper rectangle placed into the female n secured via a bend n run on the case ?

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

Try one of these pin diagrams instead:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+headset+connector+wiring&tbm=isch
This looks right:
<
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/invinciblegod/TRRSConnector3-1.png

It's a TRRS (Tip-Ring1-Ring2-Sleeve) connector.

Nope.  It's stereo on the Tip (right channel) and Ring1 (left
channel).

That would destroy the connector.  Soldering to the contacts works
better than burning up the insulators with the soldering iron.

You'll never get it into the hole in the jack unless you have a
microscope and are very good with a micro-manipulator.  It also won't
stay in place as any glue used to hold the copper in place will get
hot, melt the glue, and cause the copper to fall off.  You could
take apart the S5 and fix the jack, but that's difficult because it's
too well sealed.

You can buy a replacement headset connector for about $10.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Headset-Jack-Audio-Port-Connector-Verizon-G900V-AT-T-G900A-/301713329596
<https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Galaxy-S5-Headphone-Jack/IF236-012-1
I think this would be your best option.  Disassembly instructions:
<https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S5
Try really hard not to screw up the phone.

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack
The female is too wide. Before posting I expected an AL foil fix n your post traveled into a shim ...

Why, had you soldered n not tried a shim
 ?

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

Older women are like that.  I suggest you get used to it.

Aluminum foil is flimsy and falls apart.

Because my soldering iron and box of connectors was a few cubits away
from my chair, while my brass and steel shim stock collection was in
my office about 12 miles away.  Building a pigail seemed easier than
playing with tiny slivers of shim stock.

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack
Tried further enlargement of the female allowing an effective connection fit with the shim ?

Held one of the female units ? How does the metal expand in the casing ? Or how was that done ?

Looking for a mechanical solution.

Your soldering skills are beyond what I can forsee ....

Tho if mono works language ...no music...

Then on the ground area is the necessary connection M-F

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

When I read that, my memory started yelling RED! RIGHT! RING!.

So I checked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_ (audio)

Isaac

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

Yeah, something like that.  Red is right and Green is left are
somewhat consistent among the headset, earphone, and microphone
connections.  However, everything else, including ground, is insane.
<http://www.circuitbasics.com/how-to-hack-a-headphone-jack/
I find myself using an ohms-guesser to check the connections just in
case someone decided to be creative.

Standards are a good thing.  Every company should have one.

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack

I have found a number of (cheap, imported) cables that connect red to
tip -- the wiring is proper, just the colors are not.

Isaac

Re: Samsung S5 earphonr jack
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigational_aid

Site Timeline