Rubber

I have a few almost new usage-wise, but very old, tools with rubber
handles.  I want to keep using them.

The rubber surface has become gooey and sticky and comes off on my hands.

I cannot easily cover it with tape.

Is there some way to fix this. ?

Some chemical to solidify the rubber goo ?

Is it only the surface that I can somehow clean off ?

Re: Rubber

AFAIK that stuff isn't fixable, once it goos it just deteriorates. Temporar
y improvement can be had by dusting it with talc or cornstarch. Repair requ
ires removal, which is not easy. Usable softeners include toluene, xylene,
neat washing up liquid, and old brake fluid seems to be the best. Most of t
hose have their hazards.

NT

Re: Rubber

I just repaired a pair of needle nose pliers that I like.
Enter the following in eBay search window and work out the details.

(1 FOOT) 3/4" Red Heat Shrink Tube 3:1 Dual Wall Adhesive Glue Marine/to
0.75"

Good Luck!!

Re: Rubber

s.

And o you have good medical insurance?  That''s what I want to know.

Re: Rubber

And do you have good medical insurance?  That''s what I want to know.

Re: Rubber
Shrink  tube.

Re: Rubber

Somebody makes a liquid handle dip coating exactly for this.  You remove the
old coating, clean, and dip the handles in the stuff, let dry, then repeat
until the desired thickness is built up.

Jon

Re: Rubber

... Plastikote? Er no, .... Plasti Dip!

https://plastidip.com/

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk

Re: Rubber
plasti dip is great, I have tool handles I dipped decades ago, but gasoline takes it right off. Just an FYI.

Re: Rubber

Yeah, flexible polymers age poorly sometimes.   If you can remove the rubber
entirely, and clean the handles, there's rubber fusion tape (made for
electrical splicing, but more widely useful) that can be stretched/wound around
the handles and it cures to a good rubbery grip.

If you want it to last forever, instead of just a decade,  it's available
in silicone, too, though that might be more slippery

<https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Wrap-Repair-Silicone-Tape/

Re: Rubber
On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 07:44:15 -0700, Expiring

Maybe freezing at low temps (dry ice?) might make
the stuff brittle so a whack with a hammer will
shear it off.
Replace with refrigerant foam insulator tube. Or
bicycle grips.

Site Timeline