Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

This is a good point that, if he had just edged over the cliff, he'd likely have gone down nose first.

He had momentum, it seems possible.

The PG&E crew out here knows me by name! I talk to them as they park their trucks on the side roads. I have their cell numbers! What happens, they tell me, is that have "isolators" and "fuses".

The fuses are literally fuses. THey have to be manually replaced. The isolators are circuit breakers that go out for short periods of time (like less than 30 seconds). They have 3 trip points: a) If a tree branch hits the wires, causing a short, they trip. b) They wait a short period of time, and go back on c) That can happen a second time d) The third time, they shut off completely.

So, often you'll get 30-second outages out here, which is what the PG&E guys tell me. The way to tell is to call it in as a "real" outage. They actually call you back since you're the ONLY one reporting the real outage. They check their software, which shows that it only tripped at the source. So if you have a real outage, then it's just you. That's why they call you back.

Its' a great way to get to know the PG&E guys. :)

The reason I *though* the power was out was because I could hear my generator, but it turns out my generator runs longer than 30 seconds when the power is only out for 30 seconds. SO they told me to look at the smart meter before calling. :)

yup. Global warming. Energy Crisis. Trumpism. All disasters in California due to politics alone. :)

Thanks. I saw Sanborn all washed out. Entire cliffs wiped out all three trails going into Lake Ranch (which is directly on top of the San Andreas fault line).

There is no way to get a vehicle into Lake Ranch at the moment even though it has three access roads. All three are gone at some point (multiple points in two of the three).

They put some of that plastic on the roads I use to get home. I think it's wishful thinking. What they did was put asphalt on top of the plastic (to hold it down). I doubt it will stop much since the slumping is from below.

All you have to do is turn the rain gauge sideways! :)

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

That's an interesting observation. Maybe the road was still there when he drove over it, and maybe it dropped out from under him?

I'm sure if someone was there before him who might have reported it as a collapse, then that didn't happen, but I don't know if that's the case.

So, at this point, it's possible that there "was" a road there when he drove on it, and it collapsed out from under him, I guess.

Either way, let's hope he's learned how to deal with the mountains.

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

Thanks for explaining 'cuz I wasn't sure so I apologize if I auto-completed incorrectly.

I once read that almost all (and that means almost all) images are "touched up" to some extent when published in paper print media. Apparently almost not a single photo isn't changed to some extent.

This one certainly looked out of place, since the blue van had not a spot of mud on it, and it was shiny and clean and not all crumpled up (only one small dent in the roof).

So it certainly seemed out of place. Plus the angle of the best shot was from the air (unless there is a road across from where the accident occurred).

So, I agree, it *looked* photoshopped.

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

My point is those are emergency road signs. What are they for? Why do we pay for them?

Originally they went in for amber alert and traffic conditions, and road closure purposes. Which is fine.

But when they start putting on signs saying "brush your teeth", then they went too far.

Basically, they're abusing the signs, is my point, by even mentioning water, because (a) it's not a roadside emergency that we can do anything about while driving, and (b) it's not gonna make a difference since agriculture is what uses almost all the water (not homes).

The government is welcome to tell me, but they can do it with mailings and news and print, not emergency roadside signs.

What's next on those signs? "Wash behind your ears?"

Every time I see those stupid drought messages, I tell my kids how dumb the gob'ment is, and how they abuse EVERYTHING so the only solution is not to give them the power to abuse things.

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

Thanks for that reference. Based on a quick read of that reference, the political farce behind those idiotic road signs is even worse than I had thought.

"Approximately nine million acres of farmland in California are irrigated, representing roughly 80% of all water used for businesses and homes."

"Total urban water use has been falling even as the population grows. Even before the latest drought, per capita water use had declined significantly?from 232 gallons per day in 1995 to 178 gallons per day in

2010?reflecting substantial efforts to reduce water"

The "urban" use is what those road signs target. I feel they're a political farce because: a) These are freaking emergency road signs - not political placards b) We homeowners aren't the ones using the water (we use only 10%!) c) There's nothing more we can do (we have cut back tremendously already!) d) There's nothing we can do while driving in our cars!

What galls me is that we PAY for those road signs, which serve an emergency purpose for safety roadway and amber-alert reasons (where license plates an and make/model/color of perpetrator's vehicles are posted which we can do something about while driving).

But the idiotic state employees use those emergency signs for freaking drought purposes, which is not a roadside emergency which has anything to do with highways and which anyone can do anything about while driving and which isn't appropriate.

It's all a political abuse of power for political purposes. (They want us to "feel" the drought, even though we're not the problem.)

Reply to
Stijn De Jong

That was that that I wrote...

Oki...

--
teleportation kills
Reply to

No, it doesn't. Maybe the idea is to be sure it takes the plastic down the hill when the road gives way.

Did you or someone imply that some pictures on the web had location data that you or I could extract? And then go to the place.

Reply to
micky

I thought they were to discourage birds from sitting on the rain gauge rim and from dumping their load into the funnel. However, it won't do anything for horizontal rainfall.

Another problem is where someone located the rain collector on the apex of a hip roof. Wind blowing perpendicular to the roof will create an updraft, causing the rain to "fall" upwards. I've watched it happen.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No, it doesn't what? Doesn't anchor the tarps or doesn't seem like a good idea? Please eschew posting ambiguous obfuscations.

Nope. Might be a trampoline to catch erratically driven vans trying to jump the gap. Hard to tell, but it does look like a fun ride.

Guilty as charged. That was me.

Most web photos do NOT have EXIF information. I use Irfanview for photo editing. It also has an EXIF viewer and editor built in with links to various mapping sites. You'll need both the program and the plugins. Save the image to your machine, feed it to Irfanview, hit "I" (for information), and you can figure out the rest. I couldn't find a decent video or tutorial so here's what it should look like: Use the buttons at the bottom for mapping. Enjoy. Incidentally, that's how everyone found out that John McAfee was in Belize. He posted some photos with the EXIF info was not removed and that included the location data. Oops.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I wrote that before I realised that I was near the top of a long thread. Lower down I read the actual explanation. Nevertheless I may have been partly right. It could have been that the first time he crossed that section of the road it was covered with flowing mud. When he came back he again thought the road was (as he said) covered with mud but by then it was a hole.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Reply to
Eric Stevens

avagadro7

the SAF runs thru the lakes on the east side

Reply to
avagadro7

my truck doors slammed shut when I opened the van photo

Reply to
avagadro7

AE6KS 831-336-2558

pleased your ground held !

I dug a hole for my in hillside therml sink house

went to Jersey for some stuff

n a tornado hopped over the hill n into the foundation hopped out n proceeded to hop hop hop down the street

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sep 25, 2016 OLD FAITHFUL-LOWER STA Sale

09/19/2016 Chevron 0202401 Yuma Az

avagadro7

goo.gl/F5eq39

excellent McD down the street.

the ridge beyond is the desert to the right the Desierto

goo.gl/dyhcMS

to the left Yuma Pro BLAM BLAM ving ground n the dam feeding the California Aquifer.

and the Mohawk Canal !

The Colorado

a place to start from

Reply to
avagadro7

Hey Jeff:

I thought of you while on the Wet Coast last month.

I was in Sandy Eggo, where it was 51F and dreary, while warm and sunny on the East Coast.

Then I was tipped to -- at the time I saw almost every road I knew of listed, save Freedom Blvd, and Fern Flat - but that's private.

I also saw a picture of a on a far steeper slope, maybe along 9.

I skipped your area & flew to SEATAC via Sacramento; there was miles of flooded farmland visible.

But the worst indignity was 27 Feb: I left the [MUST SEE] Museum of Flight, and realized I could not see the bus stop midst the snow... and I-5 was closed both ways from a propane tanker sidewise...

I got back to BWI; and it was 80 on Wed.

{not to beat up on Jeff; I like visiting Santa Cruz/Aptos/etc. But..}

David Lesher

Hello Nymshifter.

Now go away.

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Reply to
Savageduck

false hit.

Reply to
nospam

Or the road just collapsed out from under him. It was a landslide, and if it was raining hard (or night) he (or she) may have had no warning at all.

John

Reply to
John Robertson