Portable compressed air tank

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car tyre pump). I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge these? I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Go to Harbor Freight. They list five.

CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

Sorry, I forgot to include that I do not live in North America. I am in the UK.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

I don't think you are getting my question.

I would like something like a small Fire Extinguisher I can have near to my bench, not a big noisy compressor I have to store somewhere.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Per Gareth Magennis:

Harbor Freight, as others have observed, is probably a good bet.

But how small?

If you want *really* small, start Googling "Paint Ball Guns". The paint ball people who do not use CO2 use compressed air and the tanks are quite small - yet hold something like 800 PSI.

--
Pete Cresswell
Reply to

No, we are not getting the question. Going by what you sent, the tank is about a foot in diameter and 2 feet long. Or 1/3 of a meter in diameter and a meter and a half long. The tanks are usually made to carry out on the road and blow up car tires.

You now appear to want a tank about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and a foot long. You probably would not get enough air in it to do much at 100 psi or so that many of the stations supply.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, we are not getting the question. Going by what you sent, the tank is about a foot in diameter and 2 feet long. Or 1/3 of a meter in diameter and a meter and a half long. The tanks are usually made to carry out on the road and blow up car tires.

You now appear to want a tank about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and a foot long. You probably would not get enough air in it to do much at 100 psi or so that many of the stations supply.

I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally. I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.

Surely there exists a small compressed air bottle that you can recharge at your local garage do do that same job.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Greetings Gareth, Small tire, oops, tyre pumps will fill a small air tank. The problem is how long it takes and the duty cycle of the pump. Some will have an extended duty cycle and can be used without stopping for it to cool down. The problem with all the small pumps is that they need to run the tiny piston up and down very fast in order to fill a tire in any reasonable length of time. This makes them noisy because the little DC motor is spinning so fast. Oh crap, I just re-read your message and it seems you are asking if the local gas station air compressor will be powerful enough to fill your tank. Here in the USA most gas station air compressors will be able to fill a portable air tank, but some to maybe only to 80 PSI or so. Some of the gas stations have a stand alone air compressor for filling tyres off away from the gas, er, petrol pumps and they tend to have undersized compressors so filling your tank may take a while. But they will fill it. I imagine that in the UK there are similar things since ti, um ,tyres are the same the world over no matter how you spell the name. I know some folks here will also use old beer kegs to hold compressed air. They are made from pretty heavy wall stainless steel. I have an old keg that I use for just this reason. Recently I modified a keg, converting it into a still for a new local micro distillery. The keg had stamped on it that it would burst if pressurized over 60 PSI. After putting some holes in it for various pipes I was able to measure the wall thickness and it would take more, something around 350 PSI, to burst it. I think there must be a lot of folks stealing kegs to use as air tanks. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

** You are labouring under a misconception.

So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.

This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.

You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.

The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.

In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I use a ,noisy, 1KW Martindale blower on dusty chassis, only the grease stays in place after a quick session with that, outdoors of course.

Reply to
N_Cook

I just looked up the specs on these, no wonder noisey, 381mph wind with this 1.5HP version

Reply to
N_Cook

he

First, keep a few things in mind.

a) Charging a tire in the field is an entirely different concept than what you want. Air is subject to Boyle's Law, and the tank size you suggest woul d either require a dangerous amount of pressure in it, or not have enough t o be useful for more than a minute or two - put another way, one minute les s than necessary 100% of the time.

b) Most "gas station thingys" do not have either filters or dryers on them. Meaning that the air you are getting will contain a good deal of moisture, which will also build up in the tank at each charge. If you use a commerci al compressor, it will also discharge a certain amount of lubricant into th e air. Neither moisture nor lubricants are any good for electronics.

c) As Mr. Allison pointed out rightfully, "canned air" is actually a compre ssed liquid, usually 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, is neither air nor designed for your purpose. When a liquid changes phase to a gas, and when that gas is decompressed, it loses heat (gets cold, the principle of refrigeration). So, "Canned Air" comes on strong, and after a very short time slows down a s the evaporation reduces due to temperature loss.

With all that in mind, if you want to do what you suggest using compressed air, then invest in "doing it right". Obtain an inexpensive tank-mounted oi l-less compressor *NAME BRAND* (I have a US-made reconditioned (by and from ) Stanley). Obtain a Filter/Dryer (one of a great many is linked). Then, ge t a variety of fittings for different applications. My most useful is a fle xible-wand device, very thin, that I can reach into very tight places and g ive moderate blasts of air. Mine fits behind/under the bench, and other tha n startling the cats when it runs, is practically invisible. I have linked a similar compressor to the one I have, but with a higher profile. The pric e is right, however.

Now consider all the other things a good compressor will do for you. Spray paint, particle blasting, run nail guns or staplers, start DynaJet engines quickly and safely. I use mine to blow out the water pipes at our summer ho use before winter. Works like a charm. Fill tires, automotive or bicycle, p ressurize pipes for testing purposes, testing miniature steam engines, and much more. And, you can purchase after-market rechargeable spray cans, of c ourse.

R/dp/B00UEUYHOG

0BF4VQ44

Sorry for the rant, but what is desirable is not always practical, and what is practical is not always convenient. This is a nice example of that. Aft er purchasing a compressor in anticipation of a major carpentry project - r estoring our summer house after a flood - I am continuously surprised at th e number of additional uses I find for it. The summer house is now raised b y 8', no more floods.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Gareth-

I can't find it now, but I have a small canister that may be what you are describing. It is slightly larger than a spray paint can, and holds a little less than a quart. The problem with it, is that it does not hold enough air to be practical. I think its main value would be for use as a liquid sprayer. Again, it does not hold enough air, and would need frequent re-charging!

The canister has a valve assembly that unscrews from the tank, so you could fill the tank with a liquid you wanted to spray.

It has a push-button valve on top, to spray the air or liquid. There is a fill valve like the one on an auto tire (tyre), as well as a pressure relief valve. I think it could easily be filled with a bicycle hand pump. A filling station air pump might have too high a pressure for the relief valve.

I have had it for many years. I got it to use for things like blowing dust. However, I did not need to blow dust very often, so I eventually forgot about it!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

You aren't going to refill to 800 psi at the local garage!

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

he

All you need is an old refrigerant (freon) tank and a REFRIGERANT TANK CONV ERSION KIT. I bought one of these years ago, and a friend gave me an empty freon tank. It consists of an adapter, valve, pressure gauge, and hose. You can fill it with any compressor and take it with you. I wouldn't fill mine more than about 150psi, but it worked great until I dropped something on i t and broke the valve. I just found a kit on Ebay:

-94650t-/251278903428

And a photo of a typical tank, which can usually be gotten for free if you ask an A/C man:

junebug1701

Unless I'm misunderstanding, what you want is widely available.

I lived in Germany for 5 years. I work for the US Army and where they send me I say yes sir.

In Germany you don't drag a hose to your car tires. Instead, you lift a sm all bottle off the compressor quick disconnect and walk to each tire. The bottle usually holds enough to pump up each tire. If you are unusually low you might have to set the bottle back on the compressor until it refills.

Google Airquick or go here:

Tim R

Way back when, maybe 40+ years ago, I was a kid and there was a CO2 tank in the junkyard. Big and heavy. You won't find tanks in the junkyard anymore because of regulations.

I pump it up to about 160 PSI with a male to male coupler. I also have a valve to safely vent it before disconnecting.

My "compressor" has a small tank and is stationary. I can fill the tank and adjust the air in the car tires, but it doesn't last long.

A compressor (reed based) used for an airbrush would work for your application.

Reply to
Ron D.

** You are labouring under a misconception.

So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.

This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.

You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.

The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.

In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.

.... Phil "

And I have seen places like Staples charge up to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to price them out of the range of local teenagers who love to inhale from them in their spare time (which could be used doing homework, shoveling snow or mowing neighbors lawns, soup kitchens, being active church, or school athletics or 1,000 other useful things). !

Reply to
thekmanrocks

G-Mac:

I bought mine at the local NAPA. Red, about 22"L by 11" high, holds max. 125PSI, enough for replacing air in our cars during fall & winter when they lose pressure to cold temps. The garage renting the space to one side lets me fill it 1-2x per year, and their machine dutifully gets it up to 110-115lbs PSI. (that last 10psi takes the longest, naturally!).

Most gas station courtesy hoses around here cannot put more than 80psi into it, so they remain as backup sources. Someday I will stop this tank nonsense and just buy a small electric compressor.

Reply to
thekmanrocks