Pholips coolshave charger.

Recently my Philips coolshave started not giving many shaves per charge - as luck would have it, I'd just salvaged a pack of 1000mAh Ni-Cd cells (Ni-Mh that I have bags of won't do) from some scrap equipment.

Since it was apart anyway, the connections from the charging plug were more easily accesible than the holes in the charger plug, so I grabbed the DMM -

25VDC charger for a single 1.2V cell.

Would anyone care to offer comments on the likely rationale of that?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

Might be the unloaded voltage.

High voltage but very low current might be good for keeping the whiskers from building up inside the cells. not that I know for sure, simply a guess.

What is the voltage when you plug it into the battery pack?

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

As I explained - it was easier to get at the connections while the shaver was open and taking a reading from the terminals inside.

The charger was plugged into the shaver when I measured it.

Reply to
Ian Field

No better idea other than it would appear that the ni-cad battery is open, otherwise it would load that down and possibly get rather warm if there is any current available.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Could it be that the charging circuit is a buck regulator? The feed from the wall wart could be "higher voltage, lower current", which would result in lower losses the wire.

Reply to
Dave Platt

There is an SMD inductor on the PCB, so that's very likely.

But I was a bit surprised that they step down from as much as 25V.

If the battery runs flat, I can't plug the charger in and carry on shaving. IMO: if they'd used a charging voltage closer to that of the cell, it would have been trivial to make the shaver capable of operating while charging.

Reply to
Ian Field

As luck would have it I found the service manual, but the schematic is a jumble with no component values.

So far I've done a first draft of re drawing the schematic, so now I can recognise most of the circuit blocks, but it needs more tidying before I can follow how it actually works.

My best guess is, its a distant relative of the hysteretic buck with a synchronous rectifier, but it needs more study to figure it out.

Reply to
Ian Field