Paint peeled in Microwave

Hi all

In my microwave, under the turntable paint has peeled off in some areas and the underlying metal is starting to rust.

Is there any hazard in using the Microwave in this condition?

If I wanted to repair it what sort of paint I should use?

The Microwave is about 3 years old and is out of warranty

--
Thanks for any help

ClueLess
Reply to
Clueless

You're fine, as long as the paint doesn't vaporize and end up in the food. Clean up any flakes with sandpaper. Also, look for signs of arcing as that may have caused the paint to peel.

Appliance enamel or appliance epoxy paint. If you're down to bare metal, you'll need a primer coat. I use epoxy because it's harder. I'm not sure which is the correct paint. Most vendors offer touch up paint.

So much for quality.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The only real danger is letting it rust through so the microwaves can leak out and cook you.

Sand it down to clean metal and slap somr Hammerite paint on it.

My last microwave was rusting through the bottom so I kept a leakage warning meter close at hand - the door mechanism/safety interlock failed before the corroded case became dangerous.

Reply to
Ian Field

Just today I tried repairing a bathtub, or at least for the short term. Used rust converter, then appliance epoxy spray paint. I used to repair leaking stainless tanks with strips of aluminum glued down. It would work in a microwave with the strip capacitively coupled to the container.

Greg

Reply to
GS

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:11:41 +0530, Clueless put finger to keyboard and composed:

See page 10-6 of the following catalogue:

There are plenty of sources for "Microwave Oven Cavity Touch-Up Paint":

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Many thanks to all of you for helping me out.

I will try the methods suggested.

--
Thanks again
ClueLess