I need a 3rd Arm and Hand

Working on electronics, as well as cars, homes, and a lot of other things have made me want to get a 3rd arm installed on my body. For example, I am soldering something, and need one hand to hold the item, a second hand for the soldering iron, and a third hand to hold the solder. Hmmmmmm, this is a problem!!!!

I asked my doctor to install a 3rd hand, but he said it was not practical. I asked him what amount of money would get him to do it, and he said he would tackle it for one billion dollars, but could not guarantee it would work. Well, I dont have quite that much money in my bank account. I am probably short a mere 999.99 million. I also want a guarantee that it will work. :)

Seriously, I have seen several online videos of people repairing electronics, and noticed a few of them have some sort of gadget that has a benchtop stand (base) with one or more alligator clips on movable metal arms attached to that base. Those look real handy, but what are they called? I wanted to take a peek on Ebay for such a thing, but without knowing the word to search for, I am clueless what to search.

Does anyone know what to call these devices?

Yea, I could possible make something similar, but more often than not it costs more for parts to make something, than to buy one ready made.

Reply to
tubeguy

"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

Do you have trouble using google?

Sheesh!

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

He has trouble with a lot of things.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

I have a slightly earlier version of this beast. Those little goose necks a re STRONG. Also come with a variety of ends, if asked. The magnetic base al lows specific placement as needed. One will hold a typical small circuit bo ard. Two will hold it against considerable pressure.

Made in USA.

Not from Harbor Freight.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Get a Panavise. Best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And, Quad-Hands!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Too crude. Instead, I suggest a robot arm: Some look affordable:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

heh... Over the many, Many, MANY years I've futzed around in/with electronics, I've learn to hold solder in my mouth and carefully feed it into the joint. Only exhale during the process -- no inhale. No blood test has ever shown a bad outcome. :-)

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Hmm, voice control would be a fun option... "Siri, pass me the soldering iron please?"

Your link didn't work for me so I tried this:

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

If you want a premium-priced version

jfeng

$70 for some alligator clips. Sheesh.

I just flip the PC board face down, hold it with my left middle finger, and use my thumb and index finger to feed the solder.

The only time I really HAVE to hold something is soldering wires to connectors, and THAT is where having a PanaVise comes in handy.

I have one of those alligator clip things. They are next to useless for holding anything properly and stable. Its like chasing a blob of mercury around.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

"No, the other end..."

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

It would depend if you are being polite or not...if you don't say 'please' you get the warm pointy end.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

An acquaintance has Parkinson's. His hands shake rather badly. Someone built him a pair of robot arms for manipulating things. The input devices are two large joysticks and some big buttons. The computer is programmed to ignore high frequency shaking and sudden moves, and only respond to low frequency, slow movements, which removes most of the shaking. I found it rather tricky to use, but suspect that I could learn with a little practice.

I think you'll find that the joystick or virtual reality glove are better ways to do this. As I recall, it's called a "Waldo". The modern Waldo is the Da Vinci robotic surgery machine:

Oops and thanks. The link worked on my home machine but now that I'm in my palatial office, it doesn't. Magic, I guess.