I'll never use an oscilloscope again

While looking at an oscilloscope, a human-like figure appeared on the
screen. It was an alien from another planet, teleported to Earth.

Good grief, I always thought oscilloscopes were only supposed to show
wave forms.....

Then the figure came out of the oscope and began attacking and killing
people and destroying things....   (televisation)

This is some real scary shit...... [as I pull a blanket over my head]
Damn,,,,, I never knew oscilloscopes were this dangerous.....

Seen only on "The Outer Limits".

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the
picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder,
we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune
it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the
vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the
focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. We can change
your operating system in the blink of an eye. For the next hour sit
quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there
is nothing wrong with your computer. You are about to participate in a
great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which
reaches from the mind of the internet, to... The Outer Limits.

This show from 1963. Called "The_Galaxy_Being".
Takes place at Radio Station KVKVI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galaxy_Being

I get the biggest laugh out of that show and how they used all the
electronic stuff from that time to scare the crap out of people...

We now return control of your computer to you......
(Until next week).

Followup Action:
To be safe, I just unplugged my oscilloscope, so it cant turn itself
on......... But should I put electrical tape on the power cord prongs
too?
Nah, I think I'll just take the scope to the garage and shut off all the
breakers in the garage.....

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

** I remember watching that episode on B&W TV in Melbourne.

   It was verrrry scary stuff ...

....   Phil

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

** WRONG: this NG is not a "chat room" for retards.

Hey Phil, this is not a "chat room" so let's try to keep this about electronics repair.  Thanks.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again
** I remember watching that episode on B&W TV in Melbourne.

   It was verrrry scary stuff ... "

Well we all knew it was TV.

Anyway, I watched a documentary on that show and it was somewhat interestin
g. they had to come up with a show every week, it as not like today, write
some stupid shit and send it to the boys with the super MAC computers for s
pecial effects. Galaxy Man was a guy in a wetsuit with motor oil poured all
 over him and a few spotlights. They knew how to do blacklighting but that
was about it with the double exposures.

But think, I think they actually had to WRITE the episode.

That was back when things took a bit of effort. I can't stand new shows, wi
th their video tricks you think the telly is fucked up and needs service. F
ucked up color, green and white like a bad CRT. Jiggling, rolling and all t
hat. the broadcasting equipment used to be designed to avoid that, that's w
hy they had genlock.

I can't stand new TV or movies. So much special effects, guys jumping fifty
 feet up in the air and all that shit. Where's the goddam plot ? What was t
his all about anyway ?

But that is the way it goes, every year there is less and less keeping me h
ere.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

Genlock? TV stations had one or maybe two sync generators. If they had
two, there was either a manual, or automatic fail over function.The
video would jump to any external sync, if the input was used to attempt
'genlock'. That was how I transmitted a color ID from a B&W TV station
in the early '70s. For those who don't know, the H and V sweep was
slightly different for Monochrome and Color. I fed the output of a
Heathkit color bar generator into the sync generators, as well as the
video input on the crude RCA keying function of the Monochrome video
router. I also disabled the TV transmitter's chroma trap which was used
to prevent color TVs from trying to lock onto noise in the colorburst
range of 3,579,545 Hz. I did all of this, to prove that the station
could be converted to color.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

I've been enjoying watching the first series of "The Avengers" in the
UK, only seen the Diana Rigg ones before (much higher production values
for those). This was in and around 1963, with Honor Blackman. Wobbly
scenery , Mcnee fogetting his lines (done live in those days as no
electronic recording and editting), hilarious fight scenes, close-ups on
non-existent items as an actor had not correctly placed the item ,etc.
Ever  involving fiends with electronic devices, , jamming ICBM radar
receivers, electronic rays stopping anything like motors at a distance,
etc. Every episode has an actor who went on to be famous.
No mention of an interociter yet though

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

    Lucas couldn't get a license to build Interociters.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again
It does sometimes happen that you can see the video picture on an oscope waveform.

It can happen with a simple picture like the station call letters when the scene lighting  is such that the left of the picture is brighter then the right , and you have the scope set to the V rate.

or something like that,

it is eerie.

mark

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

    Some simple hand drawn cartoons would do  that on a waveform monitor
at the AFRTS TV station zi worked at in the '70s. I saw 'Quickdraw
McGraw walk across the screen of a Tektronix RM529 more than once. :)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

The New Avengers was a British ITV production which was shown late
night in the USA on CBS during the late 70s.

---

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

And it wasn't a movie, it was a TV series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v10%QW3Az1FTw

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again
HaHaHa!  The station engineer in that episode was named Allan Maxwell.

Possibly the inspiration for that great SW radio pirate broadcaster,
Alan Maxwell:

https://archive.org/details/KipmIlluminatiPrimaMateria-AlanMaxwellPirateShortwave

"He who shrank" is lifted directly from an Outer Limits episode.  Maybe
others.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

My mistake.  It's "He who evolved" that was lifted.  Well, it's been
about 15 years.

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

There was a short story that took care of the problem of machines not
being connected to power - they simply started up themselves. I recall
driverless buses crushing pedestrians and tanks, etc running around
killing everyone they could. What was the name of the story! 1950s I'm
pretty sure...

John

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071717/

KillDozer.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

That was movie, this was a short Sci-Fi story whose name & Author I
can't recall. I now think that it was from the 40s.

I recall hearing about KillDozer but never saw the movie...

John :-#)#

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

Theodore Sturgeon. Short Story, same name, and the basis of the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killdozer !_(short_story)

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

Nope, not that story.

This had toasters, cars, buses all becoming 'aware' and deciding to
destroy the enemy (humans). Perhaps KillDozer was based on the original
story. It (the original short story) is buried in my books that are
still boxed up when I moved houses five years ago. Possibly written by a
one-time author.

There are never enough bookshelves!

John :-#(#
                      John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again

hmmmm... that might be "Skirmish" by Clifford Simak.

http://prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article259

Re: I'll never use an oscilloscope again
"Mechasm"? Perhaps?

Site Timeline