Guitar pre Rocktron Pro G.A.P. 2 ,noisy..related to display

Hi to all the people here

I bought the old preamplifier,i remember it as pretty silent,and the "apparent" S/N ratio is further increased by the proprietary noise gate called "H.U.S.H." This is a good pic of the board ,found on a website

tei1daqvapl3ygx.jpg I'm finding it a bit too noisy,and this noise sounds as "digital noise",more than white noise..it sounds like the frequencies composing the noise are related to the activity of the segments digits of the display.Adding a piece of wire as antenna to the resistors between IC driver and display increases some particular frequency to the heared noise,confirming my impression . I tried shorting ground points with good cables,it does not change anything. I tried adding some metallic shield with minimal or null impact. I ask your opinion about the decoupling capacitors,they are 1uF ceramic capacitors,with relatively long leads.Do yout think that it is worth replacing them?Maybe with SMD capacitor directly to IC VDD and GND? Another idea is to replace the displays with new ones more efficient,needing much less current,and then ,to increase the resistor values,less current=>less noise,but i still dont know if such display exists. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks for your time Diego

--

http://www.avg.com
Reply to

what type of display LED?

can you use standard signal tracing to determine which audio stage is picki ng up the noise, does the volume control effect it, tone controls etc. ? m

Reply to
makolber

p7tei1daqvapl3ygx.jpg

The simple way to find out if replacing a cap will help is to bridge it wit h another cap. If the original is ok, it makes no difference. If the origin al is bad, it solves the problem. Sometimes you can just hold the 2nd cap & touch it onto other caps one after another to dx a fault.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That only works if the cap has gone open.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I'm finding it a bit too noisy,and this noise sounds as "digital

That's a great way to blow stuff up, too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

how? I never have that way. Obviously some clue is required, not applying a 400v charged cap to a base somewhere.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr