Garrard RC70 Record Changer , 1951

  • Plessey record Deck /Decca D type magnetic cartridge

Pictures are now on

Final one missing until I re-assemble next week. Any suggestions for other pics/measurements before giving back to owner as there seems to be very little technical stuff on the web on this deck/amp? Repair brief on

n cook

Very interesting... I had no idea that there were magnetic phono cartridges as early as 1951. I was under the impression that they weren't commercially available until the 60s.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Much earlier than that - the first electronic gramophones had magnetic cartridges. Say in the '20s. Ceramic is a later invention.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

as

deck/amp?

Yes it was a surprise to me, It must be genuine because the 1951 service sheet mentions it. I'm surprised at the strength of the magnets, the steel rule in some of the pics had to be half an inch from the bakelite hosing or it grabbed the rule. Anyone ideas how to measure the strength of the magnet, hover a steel rule over scale balance and plastic spacers ?

It was 67GBP 4s, in 1951 which translates to 1,364 GBP in year 2000, via "shopping basket" RPI calculator

n cook

n cook ha escrito:

...just a thought, you may want to change those paper/wax capacitors (think that's what they are) in the amp while you're in there!

-B.