Distiibution amplifier vs. ????

I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer, which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under other brands.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

TIA

Reply to
micky

Wired? Those would be HDMI extenders:

Wireless? Same name, but a bit more expensive.

I am linking to You-Tube rather than specific hardware as I am not quite sure what you actually want.

Writing entirely for myself, I would lean towards something driven by a wall-wart as it removes the complexity of a power-supply (and the associated heat) from the actual system.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

It would help us a lot to answer your question accurately, if you actually described what sort of signal you are distributing to the TVs. There are at least 3:

(1) Composite video, plus audio (typically two or three 75-ohm coax cables ending in RCA plugs... video is yellow, audio is typically red and black).

(2) S-Video, plus audio (similar to the above, but the video signal is multiple wires in a cable that ends in a DIN connector).

(3) "RF modulated", where the signal goes into the remote TVs' antenna inputs, and the TVs are tuned to challen 3 or 4 (typically).

(4) HDMI (digital).

For (1) you would want a "composite video and stereo audio" distribution amplifier (Markertek has the CE Labs AV400, which will feed up to 4 TVs). For (2) you'd want a similar device with S-Video rather than composite (I don't have a specific one to recommend). For (3) an ordinary broadcast-TV distribution amplifier such as you've already found should work, since in this case you _are_ distributing TV signals. For (4) you would need an HDMI distribution router (which isn't just an amplifier).

After that many years, it would not be surprising if some of the filter capacitors have dried out and failed. It might be repairable, but unless you are trained and skilled in such it might be uneconomical.

In cases like this I think a wall-wart system might give better reliability, because it keeps the heat from the power supply out of the amplifier enclosure.

Reply to
Dave Platt

why do so many questions omit the basic essential information?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hi Micky,

I'm going to guess given the age, that this is RF distribution at either channel 3 or 4 (US), so yes you are looking at a antenna distribution amp.

Way back then too, the power supply would have been a transformer, and supplying not much current would have helped it's longevity.

However, if all of your TVs are now digital, there are much better ways of distributing content.

HDHomeRun for one.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

An overly optimistic expectation about the efficiency of telepathy, clairvoyance, and the hackability of home security cameras? :-)

Reply to
Dave Platt

Yes, you're right.

Sorry, Dave, eiither I forgot how many other ways there were, or I incorrectly assumed that only your method 3, RF modulated, would involve anything like a distribution amp.

I set this up when the PCJr as the go to computer, and I had no internet and I don't know how I decided what to buy.

So later I thought there were different amps for the antenna versus the between the VCR and the remote tvs. But I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

None of them are digital. I was thinking of getting one, but I have no room for a large screen. 22" is about all I have room for or a little bigger. That woudl still leave 3 rooms with analog, whose signal is provided by the DVDRhd, which has a digital tuner. (I use powermids to control the dvdr from other rooms.)

That looks pretty good. I wish I'd put ethernet in all the rooms when I put in the coax, but I guess I could use wifi if I had a tv that could accept that. Maybe later. I may be getting a 50-year roof so I'll have to live her 50 more years to get my money's worth.

Reply to
micky

Thanks. Also replied to in my othe reply.

Reply to
micky

It seems to go even furhter than that.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The guy is asking a question because he doesn't have a good understanding of what he is doing doesn't surprise me that he doesn't provide information he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about. If you need to provide info about the multiple types of signals that could be used, that is evidence he doesn't know what info he needs to provide. Why not just ask for what you need rather than complain. I guess I'm just mellowing as I age. On the other hand, I have my days.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It is often hard to talk about specific items when you do not know them.

Say I know what I want to do such as send a signal from my computer to the 65 inch TV I have.

All I know is I want to do it,but have no knowlege of svidio,rgb, hdmi, casting or such, just that I want to watch on the big screen.

Just like I did in another group. I don't know or want to learn all about the cell phone system. I just know I do not make many phone calls, text or other things, one phone call a week on the average. I just want to know what kind of smart phone and which system is the least expensive to phone, text, and maybe a small ammount of data. There are several phone systems and not all phones work with them, then there is the locked and unlocked phones.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know. I just gripe a little because 99% of questions are the same way, and a lot never provide the relevant info.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Guilty! I think Jeff Liebermann is ready to file charges on me! :-) At least he makes me think about what might be needed now. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You need to post what you have.

If it's from yesteryear, I suppose it;s a channel 3/4 combiner possibly with an RF amplifier.

It used to be really easy to take the output of a VCR run it to one of these and combine ATSC RF channel 4 with the TV feed not containing channel 4 and just select it on your TV. It was like $20.00 USD or less.

To handle other devices, you used an RF modulator to take composite video and convert to NTSC channel 3 or 4.

Now it's way harder and way more expensive to convert to ATSC. levels will be lower, but there would be better immunity to dropouts.

ATSC 3.0 which is coming soon will make everything that you do obsolete anyway.

Reply to
Ron D.

Only my DVDR tuner is digital. The output is analog, so I'm using Ch. 3 everywhere.

Thanks all. I started another sort-of related thread.

Reply to
micky