degausing a CRT

Perhaps someone can help. I need to explain to my brother, who lives in another state how to manually degauss his TV. I've sent him an old coil I've had around here forever with instructions on how to use it. I've also found some good articles on this on line however a pictorial view of the procedure would be of great benefit to a non technical person such as he. Does anyone know of any articles that might include a picture or two of the process? Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

On Jun 20, 11:02=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote: > Perhaps someone can help. I need to explain to my brother, who lives > in another state how to manually degauss his TV. I've sent him an old > coil I've had around here forever with instructions on how to use it. > I've also found some good articles on this on line however a pictorial > view of the procedure would be of great benefit to a non technical > person such as he. Does anyone know of any articles that might include > a picture or two of the process? Thanks, Lenny.

Geez, you turn on the TV and the coil, wave the coil over the TV like a magic wand while marveling over the neat colors, move the coil away and then turn it off. If he can't handle that, please tell me he doesn't drive a car because THAT's a whole lot harder.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Geez, you turn on the TV and the coil, wave the coil over the TV like a magic wand while marveling over the neat colors, move the coil away and then turn it off. If he can't handle that, please tell me he doesn't drive a car because THAT's a whole lot harder.

He drove the car through the front wall of the house and knocked the TV over - that's why it needs degaussing.

Reply to
ian field

JAM

Reply to
Leo Marx

Its entertaining but it really doesn't show walking up to the crt with the coil perpendicular to the screen then during backing off repeating this step. I guess that I can explain this over the phone. Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Its entertaining but it really doesn't show walking up to the crt with the coil perpendicular to the screen then during backing off repeating this step. I guess that I can explain this over the phone. Thanks, Lenny.

Unless your brother has small children that like to play with magnets against the front of the TV, degauss problems are relatively rare unless the degauss posistor fails. The thermistor pellet often shatters and will sometimes go intermittent short before finally going completely open circuit - this usually causes severe purity errors but they can just fail open circuit with more subtle colour errors.

Reply to
ian field

the

This set was water damaged and although it works it has a fault in the degaussing circuit, (logic controlled through a degauss relay), and an open coil as well. So it is incapable of degaussing the CRT on turn on. I felt that it wasn't worth getting into especially from a distance. The external coil is something I suspect he may have to use twice a year if that. Lenny..

Reply to
captainvideo462002