Damned ink cartridges

I have an Hp ink jet printer that uses two cartridges. There is one three c olor, and one black cartridge, a number 21. Ninety five percent of any prin ting I might do is in black, but the problem is I rarely have to print anyt hing. So the printer sits idle covered up, sometimes for months and the car tridges dry up. I've boiled these up and refilled them several times, and a lthough this restores operation it is always a messy pain in the ass job.

Today I had to print a 150 page document, and rather than use my wife's las er printer and then have to listen to her complain about the toner being lo w, I fired up the HP. Of course the cartridges were set right up solid. Aft er cooking hem for awhile I got the color one going, but rather than re in king that one I concentrated on the black. I finally got the ink running ou t of it after simmering it over the stove for about an hour. In the interim though I got impatient and pissed off and just tore into a new cartridge t o get the job done.

So now I have to put the printer away again for only God knows how long and it would be nice if at least I could count on the new black cartridge to s till be alive when I next try to use it. I realize that these damned things are going to dry up eventually but is there anything that can be done perh aps in the way of storing the working used cartridges to prevent this, or a t least prolong the inevitable? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Maybe put a piece of scotch tape over the ink outlet holes, like HP ships them with?

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

[...]

Carl Ijames

[...]

I noticed the tape that they put on the new one and although it didn't seem to be a problem when I removed it I questioned whether or not that was suc h a great idea. I was afraid of it gumming up the print surface. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Almost impossible. Just get yourself a used HP laser jet on eBay. They can sit for years and still work, although that can damage the photoconductor. It can stick to the wiper blades, etc. I'm still running an HP LaserJet 5M, that has to be 15 years old. No fooling with cartridges, dripping ink, wasting a quarter of a cartridge every time you turn it on, etc. etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:49:36 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote as underneath :

Whatever you do dont try to use scotch tape as suggested elsewhere ( youll never get it to stick properly anyway in the inky conditions, get yourself a couple of cartridge clips which completely seal the jets with an impermeable pressure pad. (Refilling services use them). However evenso the carts will not last for ever as the tape connectors to the jets are not competely impervious and will tend to lose connections progressively after a few years in the damp conditions! Been there! Ethyl alcahol is good for melting ink - Vodka or Gin works! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

[...]

I don't print a lot from my inkjet { use the scanner mostly }. I pull my ca rts double bag them, tight and put in the refrigerator .

Reply to
EdDataFix

If you're not going to pony up the bucks for a LASER, maybe you should take those big print jobs to a Kinkos or whatever they have in your area. With

150 pages, even at ten cents each that's fiften bucks. but it IS LASER prin ted so the ink is not water soluble.

At this point I wondder just how much ink you would use in an inkjet to pri nt 150 paages. Of course it varies but if those cartridges are say $25 and you use up half the thing printing your document, it seems worth it to go t o a copy center. LASER is alot cheaper, maybe next time you want to buy ano ther printer, or cartridge, just buy the Woman toner for her LASER.

Another thing, I have an HP 100+ which was a great workhorse until it devel oped some problems. It did not have the fault with the paper where it grabs five sheets at a time. They are probably about forty bucks on eBay if they have alot of toner in them. I never even though of toner in mine. Also, th at model does not indicate toner level. No chips in the cartridge or anythi ng as far as I know. So you just drill a hole in it and pour in some Xerox copier toner and run it for another ten years.

Reply to
jurb6006

(...)

Many years ago, before cheap Chinese clone cartridges, I had a similar problem. The problem was how to store partly used ink carts outside of the printer. At the time, HP had a cute little plastic carrier, that had a rubber plug over the jets, very much like what's inside the printer. This was necessary because at the time, HP had two different grades of carts for the printer. Users were expected to have one set of each. Since the printer only held 1 type of ink cart at a time, a storage carrier was needed. They came in various sizes and shapes and worked well. Here's one example: Later, HP went to much simpler version, with no fancy box. Just a plastic clip, and a rubber plug. Those did not work at all.

I reasoned that the difference between the two systems was that the simple clip let in too much air which dried the ink, and that the cart had to be stored upright. My "solution" was to apply a smear of Vaseline (petroleum jelly)[1] to the jets before storage, which sealed the jets. I was careful to store them upright, to make sure there was ink covering the other side of the jets. For sealing and to prevent the Vaseline from evaporating, I embalmed the cart in cellophane wrap. I never could get any of my customers to follow my example, so I don't know how well it might function in the field. It worked well enough for me, where I've taken ancient used cartridges out of storage, and they printed the first time, with no clogged nozzles.

[1] Any grease or fat will work, as long as it's sealed in cellophane wrap. While testing, I used white grease, disc brake grease, butter, and silicon grease. All seemed to work well, although most required a solvent to remove. Vaseline was unique in that it will evaporate in thin layers, which made cleaning easier.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The HP100 is a portable inkjet printer, not a laser printer. Try again on the model number.

For multi page feed problems, clean or replace the pickup roller and separation pad. Also, watch out for printing on "used" paper. The ink on the back tends to make the pages stick together and feed en masse.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I paid somewhere around fifty dollars for refilled cartridge for my HP 4P. It printed some thousands of pages, I can't remmber what. It's a bother to have to get a new one, but once you've got it, it keeps on ticking.

I used one up pretty fast a decade ago, but I was printing a lot of things, rather than going elsewhere to print repetitive pages. The second one then was a couple of years later, but it's still working at least 8 years later. Obviously I'm not printing as much, but if I needed a 150 pages, I wouldn't be fussing about cost. It probably is cheaper, and if not, the slight savings going to some copy place is offset by having to go to that copy place.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

again on the model number. "

Oops, an 1100+.

Damn eyes, one of these days I am just going to pluck them out and be done with it lol. (truthfuly it is also part laziness, but really, who wants to spend a half hour on every post ?)

Reply to
jurb6006

Ghastly laser printer. The 1000 through 1300(?) series were probably the second worst printer that HP ever made[1]. Paper jams are epidemic. HP even issued a rather useless paper jam kit to somewhat fix the paper jams without tearing the printer apart. They're still quite common on eBay: Never mind cleaning the 1100. You'll need to tear it apart and replace the parts. (8:67) I have several LaserJunk 1000 printers if you want spares.

I just experienced a minor miracle with my eyes. I've had to deal with astigmatism for the last 30+ years. I needed prescription glasses for driving and distance viewing. Recently, I was having problems focusing while wearing the glasses. I suffered along, waiting for a suitable time to get a new prescription, when I decided to try driving without the glasses. Bingo... almost perfect distance focus.

The blood vessels in the eyes are not symmetrically distributed. With high blood pressure, these uneven blood vessels cause the eye to change shape, causing astigmatism. In 2001, I started on blood pressure lowering drugs, which reduced the pressure on the eye, which changed back to its original shape. Unfortunately, it does nothing for hardening of the lens, so I still need reading and computah glasses.

[1] The Laserjet 1160, 1320, p2015 etc series are probably the worst.
--
[...]

My father wore "coke bottle" glasses all his life. In his mid 70's he had c ataract surgery. (I think I'm next in line). After that until he passed awa y in 1993 at 81 he was able to see distance without glasses and switched to a much milder prescription for everything else.

I too have blood pressure concerns, (it's our heritage Jeff) and I was told by an ophthalmologist years ago that high blood pressure will damage the s mall vessels in the eyes before other things like the kidneys. I always ask the doctor to look for that whenever, (if ever) I should happen to have a checkup. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

to still be alive when I next try to use it. I realize that these damned t hings are going to dry up eventually but is there anything that can be done perhaps in the way of storing the working used cartridges to prevent this, or at least prolong the inevitable? Thanks, Lenny

I feel your pain.

From time to time, Walgreens puts on sale a Canon printer for $19.99. This ad is from 2012, but keep an eye out for the sale flyer.

For that price, you get a starter cartridge too. I don't know if it will la st for 150 sheets, but my experience with inkjet cartridges just about has me at the point that I'd consider buying the $20 printer and throwing it aw ay after my print job rather than buying replacement cartridges.

The last cartridge I bought was for a Canon Pixma something. The cartridge was a Canon Number 40 or 41; not sure. It was supposed to hold up for 500 p ages. I didn't get 80 out of it. It leaked too. Brand name cartridge, not n o name.

Laser is better.

Reply to
Beloved Leader