CRT Puzzler, strange behavior, help needed

I have NEC multisync FP912SB monitor that exhibits strange behavior. I wanted to get feedback if it is worth repairing/fixing it.I already have a new monitor and I was planning on giving this old one to charity if it can be fixed easily. Thanks

  1. Few minutes after the computer goes into sleep mode, the monitor starts making clicking sounds. The screen still stays blank.

  1. When I start my computer, it doesn't turn on, but keeps making the clicking sound.

  2. However, it works if I follow the following steps: a. disconnect VGA connector, keep monitor powered on b. start the computer c. wait for a second and then connect VGA connector then it works like a charm. If I wait more than a second before connecting the VGA connector then it doesn't work. It just keeps clicking.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I hope it is a simple fix. Thanks.

Reply to
wndrful

I think your computer is set to a scan speed that the monitor doesn't support very well. The monitor apparently can produce a picture, but doesn't recognize it as valid input -- except during the moments when the computer is turning on and goes into plain VGA mode for a moment.

Right-click on your Windows desktop, go to Properties, Settings, Advanced, Monitor, and change the refresh rate.

Reply to
mc

Hmm... it is the other way around. After I wait a second and connect, then monitor comes on and is able to display at higher refresh rates. I believe I was running it at 1400x1050 at 70Hz and it runs fine at that refresh rate. It doesnt work if it is connected right from the beginning

Reply to
wndrful

How big is this monitor 32"?? 1400x1050 is a rather high resolution and an unusual one too. You should try a lower resolution like 1024x768 and see if it works properly. I don't think even my 19" Viewsonic would like a resolution that high with a high refresh. That and the text would be almost impossible to read.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

How does that matter? Monitor works fine for the resolution, it is very sharp and I am comfortable with it. It can support higher resolutions and refresh rates as well. As said earlier, it works well on high resolution. That does not seem to be the issue. Actually somewhere somehow it might be getting too low a refresh rate. Anyways, I am going to call couple of crt repair shops (if they are around) and get their two cents.

Reply to
wndrful

Re-read MC's post, do as he suggests... Reset your resolution and/or scan rate to a lower value and see what happens.

Reply to
PeterD

Also, resolutions supported by this monitor:

1024 x 768 1152 x 870 1280 x 1024 1600 x 1200 1792 x 1344 1800 x 1440 1856 x 1392 1920 x 1440

No where in that list do I see 1400x1050. Again, set to a resolution that the monitor supports and it probably will work properly.

Reply to
PeterD

During bootup, the video mode is the original VGA one (640 x 480, 60 Hz). If that's what's causing your monitor to switch off, then you might see if there's a BIOS setting to change it.

But the real problem is probably that something in your monitor that is sensitive to the refresh rate, such as a voltage in the HV section, is slightly out of specification and the monitor no longer supports all the modes it's supposed to.

Reply to
mc

One other thought. Does the monitor have a microprocessor in it? It may have auto-adjusted itself (as best it can) for the display settings you're using, and wound up adjusting itself in a way that is incompatible with the

640x480x60Hz boot-up mode.
Reply to
mc

Thanks guys. The resolutions I used to use were 1280x1024 and

1600x1200. I had installed the NEC drivers and they were allowing me to set all these resolutions.

mc, thanks for your suggestions. I will check if I can change my BIOS settings and then see if that helps. How is it is to tune (by a professional) the voltage in HV section?

Reply to
wndrful

More info:

I got out the monitor, hooked it to my laptop and restarted it with usual unplug-plug technique. The resolution was set to 1600x1200. Now to the interesting stuff:

Computer is on, display is fine and I pull the connector and connect it back. Display goes blank and I start hearing click -click. Now, I remove the connector again and with the connector out, I power cycle the monitor. I hear a click, degaussing sound, and after that I connect the cable. Voila! the display is working!

Another observation, I keep the monitor on for a while, it is nice and warm. I try to repeat the connect-disconnect and the monitor is working fine. No click-click. So there is some issue with the cold- start as well.

The plot thickens...

Reply to
wndrful