Color Return feature on Sony & Dell Trinitron monitors

Historically, CRT monitors used to have separate red, green and blue intensity adjustments to cope with the fact that the separate guns age at different rates. The potentiometers for making these adjustments were sometimes made accessible without removing the case, sometimes not. In any case a large busy IT department might well decide that a monitor with degraded color balance was due for replacement, as it was not considered cost-effective to do the adjustments manually.

More recent models had a microprocessor to handle control and setup, and some Sony Trinitron monitors, including Dell badged ones, featured "digital color return technology" which was intended to enable a return to original factory-shipped color temperature and luminance if desired at any point over the lifetime of the monitor.

The operation needs to be performed with the guns warmed up, and it is locked out for about 10 to 20 minutes after switch on. During this time an "Available After Warm up" message is displayed if Color Return is selected using the OSD menu. After this time use of Color Return is possible.

One way to tell if a Trinitron monitor had microprocessor control was to see if Color Return is a menu option.

Obviously, if the tube is too far gone, perfect balance and luminance will be impossible to restore, but even with quite old kit, 7 to 10 years, people report acceptable results after using this feature.

I have heard stories of people who know about this retrieving Trinitron monitors from dumpsters because university or business IT departments have replaced them for being "too red" (or blue or green) because they were not aware of the Color return feature.

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Thanks for posting this. (I'm the one who asked about this feature in a thread up above; did you post this in response?)

This feature works exactly as you described. And in my case, it resulted in the "return" to normal color in a monitor (Dell) that looked like hell (low contrast) when I got it. So I'm guessing it's got a few more years left on it.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, I did. I know I was a bit snippy before in the other thread, but, hey, I've annoyed people on usenet myself. Some people can be very patronizing, as you found. I thought about it and decided to do a bit of Googling (curiosity got the better of me). I had an Iiyama monitor with a Trinitron that was replaced when it was 10 years old, and it did look a bit bleary next to a brand new LCD monitor. It predated the color return feature. If you can live with the visible stabilising wires (They bothered me for about a week) and you have the desk space they are nice bits of kit I think.

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Funny about this monitor (Dell Trinitron, 19"): when I first lit it up, I could see the wires, plus I discovered there was quite a bit of burn-in visible around the edges, since I like the image expanded maximally while the previous user had a fairly generous black border.

But after boosting the resolution to 1280x1024 (from the next notch down, 1152x864), the burn-in is much less noticeable.

All in all, not bad for $0.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've fixed many monitors like this. It works very well on most monitors that have the feature. There are a few 21" monitors where it doesn't appear to do anything at all (all of them made from about

2001-2002). Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Thanks for posting. I've just discovered the feature on my 19" Dell/Trinitrons. Upon ativation the colors improved. Had to adjust the brightness/contrast afterward.

Bought two of these monitors from the Goodwill store for $12 each, and they have been providing excelent service for 18 months.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie