Philips 89C51Rx to be obselete?

I have heard Philips have hiked the price of these parts by 50% to existing
users in an attempt to persuade them to migrate to the 89V51Rx series. Does
this mean the 89C51Rx series will soon be obseleted?

Ian

Re: Philips 89C51Rx to be obselete?

I don't know.

I never cared much about Philips MCU's. Mostly because when I worked with
them they couldn't even (or just) drive a single led. Every applications had
a lot of FET's or ULN's in it. Some MCU's from philips couldn't even drive a
ULN.

The second reason is only valid for some of the MCU and is also the reason
why I tend not to use NEC, is the lifespan. This is not long for most MCU's.
I like Microchip with their lifespan: It's relative long and if they throw a
MCU out of their program, which is always said a long time before they do
it, a pin and code compatible replacement is available.

Alexander

Re: Philips 89C51Rx to be obselete?

Are you sure you are thinking of the 8051 and its derivatives? They can all
drive LEDs and ULNs.

Ian

Re: Philips 89C51Rx to be obselete?

No, only wit additional pull-ups. All "original" 8051 have *very* weak
outputs when driven high (due to the quasi-bidirectional port design).
And even the low output current is hardly sufficient to drive LEDs.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

Site Timeline