Makefile newbie question

Hi, I've a Makefile that looks like this: ARCH = ppc all: linux app linux: cd linux && $(MAKE)

My Q is, does this mean that 'ARCH = ppc' flag is passed to the make in linux or not? If not, how do I pass it (short of putting $(MAKE) $(MAKEFLAGS) or $(MAKE) ARCH=ppc in the rule for 'linux'?) I believe $(MAKE) $(MAKEFLAGS) is the wrong construction since it translates to 'make -w'. My point is, if user doesn't put any 'ARCH=' argument while invoking the top-level make, how do I pass ARCH=ppc flag to the make in the linux subdirectory?

Reply to
knighttof3