Using a car stereo in the house....?

Do they amke any kind of AC adapter that will let you use something like a car stereo or a CB radio in the house?

I remember years ago you needed a regulated power-pack kinda thing to do this but I was wondering if that's still the case today? Like maybe some kind of AC adapter that will let you run something that normally runs of 12 volts DC neg. ground.

Thanks

Leesa (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

Yes, but typiucally they put out 13.5 or 13.8V like an automotive electric system does.

jaycar.com.au catalogue number MP3072 would be one (rather expensive) example.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

This is true nowadays. You need a regulated powerful enough 12V power source to run equipment designed to run on car power. The sutiable voltage range to those equipment is 12-13.8V

There are many powerful 12V power supplier available. For example HAMs and other radio operators use then often to power their radios. Suitable electronics component/equipment supper should be able to sell you one.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

cancel that... no longer available

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I know I'm probably going to get flamed over this one, but a car battery charger works well most of the time. Just make sure you get positive and negative correct. The only problems I have ever run into is the radio picking up noise from the charger.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yes. Such units are available. And yes, they're still essentially a giant regulated wall-wart. They can be pricey, though, depending on how many amps you need for the specific application. Bigger amps = bigger bucks...

In a pinch, you can get away with using a regular 12 volt battery charger, so long as you hook things up correctly, but don't be surprised if you get about a metric buttload of noise if you're using it with audio gear - In my experience, chargers used as power supplies tend to be *REALLY* noisy. Probably has something to do with the fact that a battery generally doesn't much care how noisy the supply charging it is, so long as the voltage and current is in the right range. Audio gear and/or digital stuff, on the other hand, tends to be pretty finicky, wanting absolutely clean (or as close to it as practical) juice.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

They are unfiltered, and unregulated. You can use them if you want to, but I wouldn't use it without a battery in parallel. I've seen too much destroyed electronics from using a battery charger.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Eeyore

Thanks guys.. Actually, the unit I want to play inside is a very low powered "entry level" CD player, AM/FM combo. No amp or anything. BTW.. I really wouldn't be playing the radio, just listening to a few CDs.

IF I did go the BATTERY CHARGER route, would "noise" still be an issue even if I wasn't using the RADIO part of it?

Also... How much could I pick up one of these battery chargers for?

Thanks again

LEESA (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how good the audio unit's internal noise-handling capability is. If it's filtered heavily enough, it may reject any noise from the charger. If not, noise can easily end up hitting the audio amp circuitry, and you'll "hear all about it" in short order. Only way to know for certain is try it and see. Chances of getting noise will be *MUCH* higher if using the radio part, but even if you're sticking strictly to playing CDs, noise can't be ruled out until you actually try that particular unit. (And once you have, don't even THINK about it meaning that you'll get the same results with a different charger...)

8-10 bucks for a basic "el Cheapo" if you find 'em on sale. 25 or so will get you a fairly spiffy one. (but not much point in that for the purpose) Beyond that, and you're better off going with a "designed for the job" power supply instead of the charger.
--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

Had you thought about having a look at your local tip? Last time I was at ours there were stack of power supplies to be had for $1 or less - you should be able to find one with a 12v rating

Also, I would be very cautious about using a cheapo battery charger - their voltage can rise to high levels with a low load - might damage your player

David

Reply to
quietguy