simple question

latching and holding current in SCR devices: which differences between these parameters?

Reply to
twiki13

i think i may have answered this else .. latching is the current on the gate required to trigure the closing of the path between the cathod and anode. holding is the lowest current before unlatched.

twiki13 wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Yes I think thats correct plus...

Note they are not the same value.

Reply to
CWatters

Sorry I'm not awake tonight. I was thinking of something else.

Colin

Reply to
CWatters

yes they most likely would not be the same value. the holding current is the current through the anode and cathod. and trigure current is whats required on the gate to cause the SCR to latch into minimum holding current or above , this only applies ofcourse if there is enough voltage above the min spec of the SCR on the cathod and anode to get this min current. also another note is that in order for the scr to have current at the gate the Cathod must have some kind or load loop for which the gate input will use. this is way you see Trigure pulse coils in many of the SCR applications where is they use the secondary to couple the Gate and Cathod.

CWatters wrote:

Reply to
Jamie