Re: More of the Parker Advertisments

I still haven't been able to find anybody at Parker Corporate that can

help

me get posters of the "I am an Engineer... Engineers see the world > differently" advertising campaign. Nobody at corporate seems to know

what

this is about. 'guess this happens when companies get that large.

A couple comments on the following.

Re: pill, if everyone thought like an engineer, then there would be no need for that profession, hence the engineer would suffer the same fate that consumer electronic techs suffered in the '70s and '80s: most consumer electronics techs became unemployed when the price of TVs, etc., became so low that it was cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one.

Re: outer space: I really loved that one that showed an astronaut in his space suit talking on a two-way hand-held walkie-talkie! Like, Right...

I'm still trying to figure out the implications of this one:

I believe "drug discovery" is more than > just a phase some people go through in college.

I find the following two mutually contradictory. I would vote for the first one taking precedence.

I believe a man with a semiconductor > is still no match for a woman. > than a submicron package.

Re: "playing with sand", I consider that an extremely severe understatement. Like, grains of sand aren't submicron!! It's gone a l-o-n-g way past the point of playing!! Seriously!!

Years ago, back when there was a local memory wafer plant that needed expanding, the company got a contractor to build an addition onto the bldg. The production yield went down to 40% when the contractor started working. After all, the contractor was only playing with gypsum wallboard, which is just a kind of sand..

And finally, I think I should differentiate the engineer and tech. Re: fixing a broken flashlight, that's the tech's method. The engineer will rip out the incandescent light bulb and replace it with a Luxeon Star LED, and put some lithium cells in there, too!

So far, the ones I've seen in "Machine design" magazine are: > ================ > Parker Hannifin > > I am an Engineer. > > I believe it is better to fix a broken flashlight > than spend 2 dollars on a new one. > > I believe explosions in outer space > only make a sound in the movies. > > I believe gold jewelry is a waste > of a good conductor. > > I believe Yoda put it best when he said, > "Do or do not, there is no 'try'" > > Engineers see the world differently > ================ > Parker/ life sciences > > I am an Engineer. > > I believe the human body is the > world's most amazing machine, > but it had a 100,000 year > head start on us Engineers. > > I believe someday soon, > even a tricorder will be antiquated. > > I believe "drug discovery" is more than > just a phase some people go through in college. > > I believe what's blazing fast today is > painfully slow tomorrow. > > I believe that the world would be a better place > if there were a pill that made everybody > think like an Engineer. > > Engineers see the world differently > ================ > Parker/semiconductor > > I am an Engineer. > > I believe that the human hair > is not a measurement standard > > I believe if athletes could keep pace with > the speed of semiconductors, > they'd be running a 30 second mile. > > I believe a man with a semiconductor > is still no match for a woman. > than a submicron package. > > I believe that it's ironic that some > of the most amazing advancements > have come from a bunch of people > playing with sand. > > Engineers see the world differently > ================ > > > > I somehow think that there should be a mention of Burma-shave in there > somewhere just for the nostalgia aspect. > Oppie > >
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote (in ) about 'More of the Parker Advertisments', on Tue,

10 Aug 2004:

You can turn calcium sulfate into silicon dioxide? Tell Uncle Al immediately!

John Woodgate

= Yeah, it seemed sort of elitist.

=

= 'Drug discovery' is the formal name to researching for the purpose of coming up with new pharmaceuticals. Nice double meaning though.

= Strictly speaking, wallboard is Gypsum which is magnesium sulphate. Sand is Silicon Dioxide. As you know, between any vibration which can really mess up an IC manufacturing process and extra contaminants for the filtration process to handle, definite effect on yields.

= Dunno, I'm an engineer by way of the workbench. I like simple fixes but could see myself repairing a flashlight. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

We freaked when Mt. St. Helens (in S.W. Washington state, but quite prominent from anywhere in the Portland, Oregon area) blew because of all the very fine ash in the air. It was just a horrible mess. The auto parts stores sold out of air filters by the next day. Many of us had to replace our gutters because the ash turned to concrete if you let it get wet without washing it away immediately.

At the entrance to our fab buildings we had people with vacuum cleaners going over our outer clothes before we could enter the building. We also introduced some vacuum shoe-cleaners that collected a remarkable amount of grime. And then there were the "wind-tunnel" passageways where you walked through a pretty stiff breeze on your way into the cleanroom.

End result of all the extra microcontamination measures was that the particle counts inside the fabs went DOWN after the volcano erupted. We have kept several of those extra measures in place ever since. Its tough keeping a space at class-1 with all those filthy humans that you have to let in. :-)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Oppie wrote (in ) about 'More of the Parker Advertisments', on Tue, 10 Aug 2004:

Gypsum, yes, but magnesium sulfate is Epsom salts. Perhaps the building was indeed evacuated. (;-)

John Woodgate

Er, Calcium Sulphate. I do stand corrected. CaSO4·2H2O

Reply to
Oppie

No, the engineer dashes off a schematic on the back of an envelope of a flashlight with the incandescent bulb ripped out and replaced with a Luxeon Star LED, and some lithium cells, too; and hands it to the tech to build it, using, typically, stone axes and animal skins. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Watt

snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com>) about 'More of the Parker Advertisments', on Tue,

Sand isn't just made of silicon. Ask any Hawaiian. ;-)

But even if the wallboard didn't have any silicon, that has nothing to do with the low yields. That was caused by the dust from the wallboard getting thru the filtering system.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Sounds a lot like ST TOS "Veeger", and its aversion to carbon-based lifeforms.

Hey, don't they call it dandruff??

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote (in ) about 'More of the Parker Advertisments', on Tue,

10 Aug 2004:

Silicon dioxide, not just silicon. In any case the context is 'engineers playing with sand' - i.e. making semiconductors.

Guess what igneous rock has as major constituents. Silicates.

Calcium carbonate.

DG is mostly magnesium, iron and potassium silicates, with maybe a little aluminium, uranium and/or thorium silicate.

John Woodgate

Is that what they're making in those prison movies where the guys are whacking the big rocks with sledge-hammers? ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise