In awe of electricians

All my life I've tried to learn beyond the basics of electronics, and invariably I've hit the same wall. Meanwhile some guys just seem to "have" whatever it takes to understand these things. Years ago I used to work in a qualification lab at one of the major computer mfrs, and I loved listening in to discussions between my boss (who was by all accounts a guru) and his peers. Electronics in its more esoteric and theoretical aspects resembles a religion.

No real point to this post, other than to give a hat's off to y'all.

Reply to
<nospam

Nice to know we're appreciated. Not so sure about calling us 'electricians' though. They're the guys who fit wiring to homes, offices and factories.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That's nice.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with the kind of work that electricians do. Perhaps you meant you're in awe of electronics engineers?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sheesh, I bet you're a big hit at parties. Lighten up for chrissakes.

Reply to
<nospam

Electronics (and physics, its source) has one critical difference from religions: if nobody believed in it, it would still be real.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

The key is lots of patience. ;-)

PIC microcontrollers are good to play with. Search for PICLIST and 16F84. There's loads out there.

Reply to
Aly

I'm in awe of electricians that work on 750kv power lines. I wouldn't go near it even if my cheap DMM read zero..

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Do you need a glass navel to see where you're going? If you don't figure out the difference sooner or later, you'll wind up with an unpleasant surprise some time, when you try to hire an electrician to design electronic circuits, or, worse yet, hire a EE to rewire your house.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

I'm referring to electricians in a general sense: engineers, designers, contractors, whatever label(s) you wish to slap on it. Degree of knowledge isn't necessarily proportional to any one of these titles.

Reply to
<nospam

Electricians are wire pullers. 'In general', the term would be Technician OR Engineer.

Idiots like you are quickly 'plonked'.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

By all means, asshole.

Reply to
<nospam

There was a time (late eighteenth century) when "electrician" referred to a scientist working at the frontier of physics. It wasn't long before the definition changed, in much the same way that the eithteenth century's "mechanician" became the nineteenth century's "mechanic."

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Yes. By any, or all means, you are an immature asshole. Did your parents have any kids who weren't born brain dead?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It wasn't until I started looking up definitions that I realized why anyone might take offense at the term. I'm not sure what's so different about electronics, e.g. I've never heard of a doctor who took offense at being called a "physician" instead of something else. But at any rate no offense was intended to anyone, except maybe Mr. Terrell who really does sound like a royal asshole.

Reply to
<nospam

I'm only trying to talk to you on your level. Grow up and act like an adult, and you'll see a different response.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps you need to spend a little more time looking up those definitions. "Doctor" and "physician" are roughly synonymous. "Electrician" and "electronics [or electrical] engineer" aren't even close to the same thing.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

Perhaps you need to get a freaking social life.

Reply to
<nospam

You need to polish that glass navel of yours before you run into something...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Paint it black ank let him step in front of a bus.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

oh, you mean "electron psychiatrists". "so tell me, are you always this negative?"