Fishing Detector

Hiya folks - bit of a strange one here! I've bought a humminbird smartcast (ref.

): for fishing but the radio range(433 MHz) to the bank is just 100 ft and I wanted to stick in onto a model radio controlled boat and so need to increase the range to a couple of hundred yards or so. Do you think I could simply open the transponder up, attatch an aerial and crank up the voltage a bit???

Any ideas would be helpful.

mk

Reply to
Mike

Not an answer to your post but a quick question as to what you are doing here. Am I right in assuming that you want to send and RC boat out to help you track fish? Darn fish don't have a chance!!!...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

As long as he does not add depth charges! But then that would be illegal. For any hit and run fisherman in a hurry :-)

Robert Miller

Reply to
Robert Miller

I'd go for the remote-controlled submarine, actually. Poke around on the bottom, see the holes the fishes are hiding in, settle down on the lakebed and actually watch the fish come out and nibble the bait. You could make it look like a really big turtle.

Why aren't there any low-cost low-depth freshwater ROVs, anyway? Not much more technology required than is put into a trolling motor and a video camera. It doesn't have to weld, or salvage ships two miles down. Buoyancy control could be a flexible container compressed or stretched by a servo. It could probably be sold retail in the sub-$1000 range.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

You would probably achieve what you want with an antenna. There is loads of info on the net about them, probably the ARRL site is favourite to start.

Be aware that (certainly in the UK) it is illegal to do this.

If you do choose to make an antenna then follow the instructions carefully and if it says 15.5 cm that is what it means 15.6 or 15.4 will not do, they are quite difficult to make becasue of the need for accuracy.

Reply to
Mjolinor

help

Depth charges...that's funny...then all you need is a net!

Reply to
Ross Mac

OTOH you could increase the receiver sensitivity with a directional antenna which would be quite legal in the UK.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

antenna

And probably a lot easier to do in terms of antenna design but the servo control circuitry to keep the antenna pointed at the boat could be an interesting project. :)

Reply to
Mjolinor

In article , snipped-for-privacy@macetech.com mentioned...

Typical "helpful" response thread - make every comment *except* the one that's helpful. :-(

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

doing

help

lakebed

it

much

Buoyancy

servo. It

About as helpful as your post!

Reply to
Ross Mac

much

Buoyancy

servo. It

That's ALLOWED isn't it? ;-)

Lots of good ideas turn up along the path to something entirely different. Most, probably.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

Sometimes the posts are just in fun and off topic...I am probably guilty more than most of off topic posts....Watson posts some good info and probably didn't appreciate the humor...Oh well...cannot please all or any for that matter... The exchange of information here is appreciated, I believe, by many......and thanks to all for that....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac