(10) Technologies That Deserve To Die

it's

yet

break!

just

fundamental

transformers

John,

It's a problem faced by the power companies for years already. So they adapt their regulations. Fluorescent light ballasts must have phase correction capacitors, even in the households. For large buildings, particularly productions plants and the like, the phase deviation has to stay within well defined bounds otherwise you risk a high penalty. Newer EU regulations are coming that require SMPSs to behave like pure resistive loads for the net. Electronics to achive this are developed and are used in new equipment. Regulations on EMC are hardended some years ago already. So the problems you mentioned are not ignored in the real world and the tools to overcome them are available.

petrus

petrus bitbyter

In news:xp9nb.401685$ snipped-for-privacy@amsnews02.chello.com (petrus bitbyter):

What are the formulas for power factor correction? Say if I have a 1:10,000 step-up transformer, line sourcing 1.8A @ 120v/60Hz. What size cap would be needed? Prolly something like 2uF/350V metallicized? And what kind of power rating would the cap require, since of course it is paralleled with the line voltage. I clearly remember back in school what happens when a small cap is placed on live mains... POP! :)

I suppose the lag could be shown on a 'scope, perhaps dual-channel in V/I mode?

Reply to
Mark Jones

1:10,000

be

power

line

is

There are no formulae for power factor correction unless you fully state the load. A transformer isn't a load, whatever is connected to the other side of it is the load, plus whatever the efficiency of the transformer isn't. After this it's just a matter of some application of complex arithmetic to work out how far the phase angle shifts for that load. If you are saying a purely resistive load and the only phase shift is that which is introduced by the transformer inefficiencies then it would be so small as to be considered "0" provided the transformer is being used within it's normal operating conditions. In my opinion :)

Reply to
Mjolinor

SHEESH!! you people are so ANTI saving money you question everything???? The variance is because I have electric heat in the winter .. Air conditioning in the summer (but less illumination required) house is 100% electric .. no gas .. I replace like for like in most cases and INCREASED in places such as the kitchen and bath, because I could exceed the wattage recommended due to the decreased heat involved in the various fixtures. You would think you are fighting the battle between DC bulbs and AC bulbs that was at the begining of electric lighting!! The bottom line = equal or more LUMENS /Candle Power for a LOT less cost per month .. even with local rate increases! Plus, initally the power company picked up about 120 bucks or so in the cost of the lamps with discount coupons. But if you are the type that throws money away .. go for it .. lamp your place whth halogens!! (IF you are, I have some land options on a Sandals development in Nome that might interest you.)

Reply to
oldsoundguy

In that case, your savings during the winter will be much smaller (if any) as the heat provided by the incandescent lamps will now have to be provided by your electric heaters. There may be some savings due to your heating system being slightly better at getting the heat to where it's needed but I wouldn't expect it to be much. After all, the whole premise of this thread has been that incandescent bulbs are bad because they expend 99% of energy consumed as heat.

Reply to
Some Dude

Yea, the savings PER month are smaller in the winter .. another reason being the need to have more LIGHTS on .. duuuuhhh!! but there are still very MEASURABLE savings. Stupidity costs money!! .. I have three computers .. and a full blown media room .. so only ONE electric heater (in the bath) is on at all in the winter .. majority of heat is generated in the kitchin from the cook top and oven, and from the computers and media!! AS NOTED I save well over 100 bucks a month .. that is bottom line, look at the bill and pay it MONEY over the previous years, and our rates have gone up 30% in that same time .. so I SAVE .. what is so complex about that that you have to get involved in some stupid argument? And of course, I use less energy, therefor demanding less from the environment!

Reply to
oldsoundguy

nature,

capacitor

dominant.

Yeah, really. Of course an incandescent can generate wavelengths above 4 GHz, too. What freq is green light? Some 400 terahertz? I don't remember. ;-)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Who is anti saving money??? Is it unreasonable to ask where the 50 - 100 dollar savings comes from, when that represents about 370-740 kwh lower energy use at the rates I pay? Since you seem to attribute it to converted lighting, is it unreasonable to ask how many fixtures you converted, and what the estimated savings in watts are for each converted fixture? How hard could the answer be?

You could say something like "I replaced 20 75 watt incandescent bulbs with 20

15 watt fluorescent bulbs, saving 60 watts per bulb" or whatever the actual numbers are.
Reply to
ehsjr

You cant pick that up on a microwave receiver, though. ;-)

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

24 fixtures changed over to CCF 4 two ways .. increasing the conversion from a 150 watt top to a 300 watt equivalant CCF. Bath 4 100 w rated CCF vs 4 60w incandescents. Kit same story increasing the amount of lighting at the same time ... converting. fan lites .. 40watt .. strip can lites 4 at 40 watt equavalent. 100watt equivalent instead of 75 watt incandescent on both front an back porches. (BRIGHTER and lighter and less cost!!) NOW is that good enough? What I was originaly saying is BOTTOM LINE I save money .. a BUNCH of money over a years time .. plus I have replaced ONE bulb and exchanged it on the warantee! whereas I used to replace MOST of the incandescents at least twice a year .. the quality of workmanship in todays chinese light bulb manufacturing facilities and sold under almost everyone's label.
Reply to
oldsoundguy

Note, CF's will NOT work outside when it gets cold... they just flicker. Unless yours are some new, special type, never-before-seen...

Reply to
Mark Jones

Or switch them out for LCD's at 90% typical power savings. Who ever said LCD's were more expensive? This is especally the case when you go beyond resisdential and the power company charges you a lot of money per each KVA of demand.

Reply to
Jeff

it is AMAZING how much some people claim to know when they haven't even TRIED something! ... the bulbs work outside because they are confined in fixtures that have glass over same and the fixtures are under cover, mounted to the building wall. Now this has been this way for two years without a problem .. IF you are above the Artic Circle, or in the North woods or Northern Maine or In North Dakota or Montana .. could be they would present a problem. I am NOT in any of those god forsaken places!!

Reply to
oldsoundguy

In news:iAvnb.3614$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca (Jeff):

I should let work know about that... we have 400 screens that are usually on. Wonder how much that could save?

Reply to
Mark Jones

Well good for you, but for the rest of us who ARE in those god-forsaken places, then CF's DO NOT WORK outside!

Reply to
Mark Jones

What is this "it gets cold" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Not only would you save on electricity, but the monitors might last long enough to become obsolete before they need replaced. I have picked up a lot of dead monitors that were barely 18 months old, and they had been run 24/7 till the electrolytics failed from the heat buildup.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:04:46 GMT, "Jeff" Gave us:

The lag of an LCD refresh makes it impossible for movies or games where the image moves about a lot.

CRTs have their place... On my desktop.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:35:47 -0500, "Mark Jones" Gave us:

Some folks despise LCDs because they are slow on the refresh (eye strain returns), and they are small in size. A downgrade for engineers at workstations with 19 and 21 inch high res, fast displays.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Yup! Thanks. In a rough guesstimate, that conversion would save me 357 kwh per month - very close to $50 off the electric bill.

Reply to
ehsjr