Xilinx tools in Windows or Linux - Suggestions

Friends,

I have been using the Xilinx tools ISE, EDK in Windows environment. But now planning to use Linux PC for running ISE and EDK. I am curious, which platform (Windows or Linux) is good for Xilinx tools? I am planning to use the ISE and EDK in GUI mode, not command line mode.

Linux version would be Red hat Enterprise WS version 4.0 (64-bit).

Thank you.

Best regards, Muthu

Reply to
muthusnv

I definitely prefer the Linux version. See the thread "Is Vista Workable" for a huge list of reasons why.

Just make sure that the Linux version you pick is supported by Xilinx.

me.

Reply to
Alex.Louie

I am using ISE 10.1 on Linux Fedora 5 (old), kernel 2.6.20-1.2316.fc5 and it works great! The USB cable programmer also works well. Xilinx finally did it right and used libusb (standard), so no complicated drive install. Newer versions of Fedora should work fine.

Thanks Xilinx!

Tom

Reply to
Tom P

I have been using Xilinx ISE softwares on Ubuntu, and it works perfectly fine. I like to use it with Linux as I can create the make environment and run the softwares which makes them very convenient.

-- Goli

Reply to
Goli

Xilinx only did it half way right. For the parallel port cables they still use WinDriver instead of /dev/ppdev access. And there is no JTAG API to make custom adapters known to Impact.

Uwe Bonnes

Xilinx only did it half way right. For the parallel port cables they still use WinDriver instead of /dev/ppdev access. And there is no JTAG API to make custom adapters known to Impact.

For the parallel port, libusb-driver

still comes handy

Uwe Bonnes