Virtex 4 expected production end-of-life

Is there any information about the expected purchase lifetime for the Virtex-4 series, specifically the FX12? We've been using it for a couple of years now in small quantities but we want to expand the product range we're using it in, because we're familiar with it and have a bunch of software for the PPC processor. However we'd like to make a value judgement based on how long we might be able to expect to buy them.

We're looking at very small quantities, a few 10s a year max, so it's not something that Xilinx or anyone else is going to specially extend production for. Also, becasue it's small quantities, the R&D cost figures heavily in the final product sale cost, so we don't want to redesign very often.

How many years can we expect them to remain in production? Of course, I realise we could buy a few years' worth if they do go out of production, but we'd rather not go down that route if possible, particularly if end of life is expected to be within the next 4 or 5 years in which case it might be better to move on to something newer for future developments.

Nobby

Reply to
Nobby Here

Look at their older parts, and see what their lifetimes & prices were.

This can also be a package question (sometimes just the lowest volume package variants are pruned), so you need to back a 'preferred package'.

It would be nice if Xilinx indicated what those 'mainstream' poackages were, for low volume users like yourself. Other sectors do this, and it is a good idea.

Another 'indicator' that appears before the EOL, is the NFND, and that also shows up in what we call the 'go away' price : The older device becomes more costly, than a newer model.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Nobby, don't worry. Virtex-4 is our best-selling family. We will keep it in production for several years. Whenever the time comes where we finally decide to drop a part, we give you a total of 18 months warning to place your order and take delivery. So there will be no ugly surprises. Hope this helps. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications.

Nobby Here wrote:

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Hi Jim, They do, although you need to work it out from the pricelist! :-) Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Hi Nobby,

What's your alternative if they do stop making it? You gotta port it. So the question is, spend the port money now, or later? Later's better, right?

No point worrying about stuff you can't influence!

Cheers, Syms. p.s. Xilinx are pretty good at keeping stuff available. So, you'll probably have got a new job long before the part goes obsolete! :-)

Reply to
Symon

Nobby, as I wrote earlier (did it get lost?), you should not worry. Virtex-4 is the bets product line in Xilinx history (we expect Virtex-5 to become even better in due course). We will keep it in production for many years to come. When the day comes where we announce "Last buy", we give you an additional 18 months to place your order and take delivery. Don't worry, be happy... Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Thanks Peter and all who replied. That's reassuring then so we'll continue on the path we're taking. As you say, with 18 months in NFND we can do a lot in that time (including go out of business ;) ), and as someone else pointed out it is really a matter of pushing the redevelopment costs out into the future or facing them now. Future's definitely better.

Thanks Nobby.

Reply to
Nobody Here

There is another option to add to your list.

If you still have products in production using a chip that goes EOL, buy a lot of them, say enough for 10 more years. Maybe round up a bit.

This obviously works better if you can accurately estimate your production volumes and/or know how long you want to sell those products.

Hal Murray