vhdl source code cross reference tool

Is anyone aware of a software package that can cross reference vhdl language components and instantiations of those components? For instance if I see a name of something in a piece of code and I don't know where it is defined (or what it does) I can then click on that name and be linked to the code where it is defined. another thing that would be helpful is some kind of graphical hierarchy of entities, components and the like (I don't mean a schematic). something like what is available in visual c++ and other software design entry tools where object oriented concepts/relationships can be represented graphically. I am dealing with a large set of unfamiliar vhdl with alot of component hierchies. I'd like to quickly understand and parse through this could with some kind of tool like i have described above.

thanks

--
Geoffrey Wall
Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering

ECE Machine Intelligence Lab
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/mil
MIL Office Phone:
850.410.6145

Center for Applied Vision and Imaging Science
http://cavis.fsu.edu/
CAVIS Office Phone:
850.645.2257
Reply to
geoffrey wall

Most of the simulators such as modelsim or vcs can do what you just described.

HTH, Jim

language

defined.

in

can

Reply to
Jim Wu

VHDL-mode of Emacs can do this (if I understand you correctly).

Alternatively, VHDLDoc generates hyperlinked html of your source files, showing what is instantiated where. Maybe that helps? The manual is here:

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK