VGA display

Hi!
I' m working to a project a little difficult for me, 'cause for the first
time I have to simulate a chess game using Fpga and verilog language.
I need your advices! :-)
Most of the project is realized.
Final parts concern VGA display.
I know I must work using HS and VS signals, but I don't know rightly how to
simulate all that into verilog.
I will be very happy if there's someone who can help me or suggest some
books about VGA display.
Thanx a lot!   ^___^

Re: VGA display
Dear Abby:
    You might find Keith Jack's book "Video Demystified" to be useful. If
you are code-centric, then find a copy of IBM's original "AT Technical
Reference Manual". Thats the 5x7 inch book in the blue cover.Barring that,
try Richard Ferraro's book "Programmers Guide to the EGA and VGA cards". And
lastly, if finding those is difficult or costly, try searching google with
some of the titles above as keywords and I suspect you will find a treasure
of information available.

Charles

Re: VGA display

Thank you very much Charles!!!
I will try to search for some of titles you said to me.
I hope to solve my problem.

Re: VGA display
You also might be interested in following link :
http://home.freeuk.com/fpgaarcade/pac_main.htm

It has a very simple vga-interface implemented in VHDL. Might be
enough to kickstart your design.

Re: VGA display

"Jan Kindt"  ha scritto nel messaggio > You also might be interested in
following link :

Thank you very much!
I don't know VHDL language, but I think this file will be very useful when I
will start to work with VHDL too!

Thanx to all!

Re: VGA display
can I suggest taking a look to this tutorial?
http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html

Jean

Re: VGA display

"Jean Nicolle" >

can I suggest taking a look to this tutorial?

Yeah, It's wonderful!!
Thx!!!
:-***

Re: VGA display
You should be careful to try to get as close as you can to the exact timing
values.  We had a lab-full of students implementing VGA controllers as part of
their end-of-semester project, and they managed to burn out quite a few monitors
before they got the kinks worked out (luckily, they were old monitors just
laying around the lab, but the lab techs still weren't too happy with them ;).
I suggest you find up a beat-up old monitor that someone is throwing out to use
for your tests...  Have fun, <p>Pierre-Olivier

Site Timeline