Using the IEEE Std 1532

Hi All,

I would like to know when should I use the IEEE 1532 files.

I found that "Users will now be able to program chains of ISC PLDs, fro
multiple vendors using the same third-party software tools and the sam
Boundary Scan interface. Users will no longer be required to hav
vendor-specific programming support or knowledge".

But if I want to program a device I use the SVF files, so what makes m
need the 1532?

Where can I find detailed information about the way of use it and th
sofware for this?

Thanks for your attention.

Re: Using the IEEE Std 1532
Users of SVF files need to "precompile" the chain composition and
intended functionality into the SVF file itself.  For instance, I have 8
devices, they are arranged as follows: TDI->X->X->X->A->L->X->X->X->TDO
and I want to erase program the fourth device.  All that would be
encoded in an SVF file.  If the number of devices changes, the
algorithms change, the data changes or the desired operations change you
need a new file.  In addition, SVF has no algorithmic flow control
(i.e., branch on condition) so come device configuration algorithms
cannot be described.

IEEE Std 1532 defines device behaviors, an extended BSDL file and a data
format that allow you to dynamically describe device operations.  You
can also describe concurrent configuration algorithms in which multiple
devices are accessed together for better programming throughput.

Xilinx provides a free 1532 environment called JDrive which you can
download from the their web site:

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=dr_configsol_jdrivemain_page

The actual standard can be purchased at the IEEE at:

http://shop.ieee.org/ieeestore/Product.aspx?product_no=SH95071

And a really good book about in-system programming ;-) can be bought here:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)