RPMs in xilinx 13.2

Hi, I am using xilinx 13.2 for synthesis and implementation of my design. I wanted to create RPMs of some small logic so that I can reuse it anywhere in my design by just instantiating. But I cannot find any relevant documentation on the internet, and the documentation I found is for previous versions using the floorplan method. Can anyone direct me to a proper documentation or some guide or link, that would be great.

Also, when I create RPMs and I map the components by hand, whenever i will instantiate it, the components will be placed in the same order or will they change depending on the complete design and routing?

Regards Muhammad Hassan

salimbaba

Hi,

It seems that you are stuck with the same problem as I have. There do not s= eem to many people here who have knowledge about hard macros and such.

Two links that are interesting:

It seems that the design flow should be basically this:

- Write your component in VHDL

- Synthesize it for your FPGA

- Go to PlanAhead

- Define a PBLOCK for your component, so that you can constrain it in a sma= ll area

- Let ISE implement the design

- Go to FPGA Editor in Post-Map and Route

- Save your design first as a hard macro ! Make sure that you have a backup of this, because FPGA Editor has no undo= function

- Follow the instructions in the second link given

Since FPGA Editor works on large field, zooming in and out is very often ne= cessary, and markers are very small, tiny even.

E.g. 3. A green dot will appear over pin on the CLB/slice that had previous= ly been routed to that pad. Now, add an External Macro pin to this site; th= is will allow the pin to be instantiated in your code. (Note that if the IO= B was routed to two pins on a slice, you must give both pins a different na= me, or PAR will issue errors.)=20

You will see this green dot only when you zoom in on really deep on the sli= ce where the connection was.

This is currently how far I got (yesterday evening). The paper by Beckhoff = and Koch is well written, but understanding will only grow by using the too= ls.

Regards,

Jurgen

Reply to
chthon

Thanks a lot. But my problem got solved, I played around with RLOCs and of course people helped me a lot. I have made a small guide for making RPMs in verilog. If you want it maybe I can send it to you.

salimbaba

You probably got more help through FPGARelated? Think I should join there too.

Even though we program in VHDL here, I gladly accept your offer. Send it to jurgen dot defurne at telenet dot be (replace where appropriate). Anything that can help with understanding the issues is welcomed.

Regards,

Jurgen

Reply to
chthon