RocketIO code example

I'm just starting out using RIO on VII Pro devices and I need some simple
VHDL to get started. There are some code snippets in the RIO UG but I don't
think it's complete by any means. I just need something that generates some
data (probably with the Aurora primitive) so that I can test the hardware
it's running on and see what's required to be implemented in user code e.g.
SOP, EOP delimiter insertion, comma handling etc.

If anyone has anything that could be of use, I'd be grateful.

TIA,

Rog.

Re: RocketIO code example

The Aurora "primitive"? The aurora core is not a primitive, so I am
guessing you have not generated an Aurora core? When you generate the
core, an example program is created, in a subdirectory named "examples".
It is a very basic example, so simulate it and see what happens.

If you have not already done so, go to the Xilinx website and register
for access to the Aurora core. That will get you a license to use in
coregen. Once that license is installed, run coregen and go to
Communications...->Serial Interfaces->Aurora 2.3
Run Customize. Do not worry about the License Status message box; it is
really referring to the RocketIO core, which is a primitive (the Aurora
core uses the RocketIO primitive).
For the easiest example, select
Desired target device
VHDL or Verilog
Lane width 2
Interface framing
Leave the "TX only" box on, which contrary to expectations, actually
generates a bidirectional link. I have no idea why.
Turn off native flow control
Turn off user flow control
Next->
Select row 1 clock BREF_CLK - this is actually determined by what pins
the RocketIO clock is connected to
In Row 1, enter a 1 in the first box and leave the others as X's
Generate the core.
Simulate.

Re: RocketIO code example

Duane,

Thanks for your reply. I now see the problem - I don't have CoreGen as I'm
just running the WebPack version of ISE (I want to target a VP2 device which
the WebPack version supports). What you've kindly described sounds just what
I need so it looks like I'll have to upgrade the tools first.

Thanks,

Roger.

Site Timeline