Rant mode ON

I need to vent a little steam.  So at risk of making myself look stupid
(or more stupid) I will do it here.

I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since
last Thursday.  I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but
the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer
without a problem.  I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he
has downloaded it for me.

But I have been trying to get a license file that does not require an
Ethernet interface and am getting nowhere.  I have received several
emails from Altera people who say that they support this and I need to
contact my local FAE or the main office.  I have tried to do both.  All
of the FAEs I know are either on vacation or in California at training.
Calling both 800 numbers has gotten me nowhere since I reach people who
are the "first line" and always have to refer it to someone else.  I
have left about half a dozen voice mails, sent easily a dozen emails,
spoken with two types of support and still I have not heard back from
anyone at Altera about this.

Right now I have been holding for about 15 minutes waiting for a third
number to connect me with a person.  I know that if I was this hard to
get ahold of no one would *ever* buy any of my products!

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Rant mode ON
Hey Rickman,

says...

You might want to look into a *great* utility called "wget".

It's probably comes standard on every modern FreeBSD/Linux
implementation, but not many people in the Windows world know about
it...

See this for a command-line vanilla Windows version:

http://space.tin.it/computer/hherold/

and see this for a Visual Basic GUI wrap-around:

http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui /

If you use the plain-vanilla command-line version, just launch like
this:

wget -c <url>

-c tells it to continue if a download is aborted...this way if your
modem drops, when you re-connect, just re-issue wget -c <url> and it'll
continue where the file was chopped off.

Also, as other people have suggested, the path of least resistance
really is to get an el-cheapo NIC and stick it in. It's not elegant,
it's not "right" but it's the fastest way to get what you want.

Thanks!
TR.

Re: Rant mode ON

Yes, I very much should use a program like that.  In the past I have
preferred not to add more and more utilities to do a job.  Often it can
cause problems which are hard to pinpoint.  But I think this is one case
where it is well worth the effort.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Rant mode ON

Geeze .... I'm glad altera doesn't waste valuable time on your problem
, they have real work to do.  They have standardized on the ethernet
interface, if you have a desktop spend $15 and buy one, if you have a
laptop without one you may have to spend twice that on a USB version
or something.  You must have lots of time and little work.

Re: Rant mode ON

Why not take the ethernet card and attack the connector with
wirecutters?  You get a MAC address but the net don't work.  :)
--
Nicholas C. Weaver                                 snipped-for-privacy@cs.berkeley.edu

Re: Rant mode ON

At this point there is no reason.  Altera has provided a license file
keyed to the HDD SN.  I was also told that this will be added to the web
site in the near future just as they have for MaxPlusII.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Rant mode ON
1.
Especially if the problem at hand is that easy to solve, altera should
help them out. If a company reacts like that to simple problems I
would get suspicious what happens if something serious goes wrong.
(BTW.: I had very similar problems with Xilinx in germany.)

2.
I always thought that ethernet based protection is particulary useless
as one can
- install the software inside a virtual machine with any virtual MAC
address one likes
- write a dummy driver that tells the system that a deactivated NIC
with the
MAC address of choice is present in the system.

The only protection mechanism that is even more useless is volume-ID
base protection.

Kolja Sulimma

Re: Rant mode ON

Get a download manager like Gozilla or something. The can resume a aboarded
download.

--
Regards
Falk

Re: Rant mode ON

My concern is that once installed, I will have no way to control it if I
don't want to use it for some files.  I remember Netscape adding
something like this (or I added some download, I can't remember which).
There were times I did not want it to pop up and could not find a way to
turn it off.  It also showed ads while running.

Anyone know of a review of download utilities that would help me pick
one?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Rant mode ON

but
transfer
he
aboarded

I've tried two or three and now use Download Accelerator Plus.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com