Question for Alex Gibson

Hi Alex, I couldn't find your original email so I thought posting o CAStal Here's my original message

> Hi Alex > > I'm Dimitri Turbiner > Actually I'm extremely interested in working exactl > on the XUPv2p board and since I saw your post o > CAStalk that you have already a working instalation o > Linux I would like to ask you some questions > > First let me describe you my project > We have an old french robotical arm >
> ). And I want it to play chess. It has some very ol > 8085 based controling boards wich need to be replace > by newer controllers. This will be easily done in th > FPGA fabric. Next, when the arm moves the chess piece > around fairly good, I can hang a camera above so tha > it will recognize the position of the pieces (My mos > basic idea about that was simply sticking small piece > of paper of specifical color each to each ches > figurine). Again I thought about Digilent vide > digitizer board and some cheap analog camera. The nex > step will be to put a RTOS on the board and be able t > remotely control the robot. The last thing will be t > make GNUchess run onboard so make the robot a full > independent chess player > > > 1) Was it possible to use the vga for console outpu > or you did everything through serial or ethernet? Wer > you even able to run X in it > > 2) My idea was to fully put linux on the 2 PPCs. > read that because of some cache architectur > incompatibilities it is not possible to run a rea > dual processor linux kernel. > So my idea was to simply run two parallel linu > systems. One would be fully dedicated running GNUches > and the other one would do all the rest (we > interface, SSH, logs... > To switch between the two systems (vga output an > keyboard would be shared) I would simply press > button on the board or something like that > So my question to you who already have experienc > using the board is that would it be reasonabl > feasible > > 3) I don't know if you have experience using th > camera digitizer board form Digilent. If you do, woul > it be very difficult to implement a simple shape (o > color) recognition system on the fpga fabric an > interface it with one of the linux systems? > > > If you have some advices to give me or something lik > that I will be extremely appreciative. You shoul > understand me; what i need most right now is to tal > with experienced people who could give me advices > > Thanks you very very much > Dimitr > > _________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo! > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around >

Dimitri Turbiner

"Dimitri Turbiner" wrote in message news:UeqdnS6cqvrGQTXfRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

No I'm not the one with the working version of linux yet. A few people on the uclinux microblaze mailing list have.

I suggest posting on the mailing list and asking them your questions.

John Williams has uclinux working on it.

original messages were on the uclinux microblaze mailing list

see below for messages

I'm still waiting on the board to be purchased (takes a while through the university)

Alex

From the original messages dated 29.04.2005

Or

I've already used these helpful references to get a Linux kernel running on the PowerPC405 on the Digilent XUP-V2Pro board. I'm new to ucLinux but it doesn't appear to be much more complicated than the ucLinux steps.

Paul Hi Aurash, hi John,

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Credit where credit's due - Paul Hartke did the work, I'm just hosting the files! :)

John

Reply to
John Williams

I thought, Paul had linux running on the v2pro board ?

So he got uclinux running as well. Good :-)

I'm tempted to buy > Or

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson