practical Virtex2 output buffer speeds

Is it documented anywhere what the practical upper limits are, in terms of Mbps, for the various Virtex2 output buffer types? For example, if I need to output a 600MHz clock (effectively 1.2Gbps), do I need to use LVDS or HSTL, or can a FAST 3.3V CMOS output buffer handle it? I don't have the luxury of running HSpice sims, but can I extract this information from any of the buffer models available from Xilinx?

Thanks,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Sefton

Robert,

You can run an IBIS simulator.......

By the way, I found out today that there is a public domain software tool that converts IBIS back into spice, so you could then run the IBIS model under a spice simulator that doesn't already support IBIS (like a public domain spice program).

So as to not frustrate you if you just don't have any tool available right now, and are in a position to have to make a decision, our hotline can run "what if" cases if you tell them the IO standard(s) you want to use, the frequency, the trace length, and the load (as in another Xilinx part, or 10 pF, or whatever).

Finally, if you can't even wait that long to get the right answer, my own experience in the lab tells me that for very light loading, and short run lengths (like less than 6 ") if everything is done right as far as signal integrity engineering goes:

Virtex II, single ended IO - 200 MHz (HSTL 1.8V); differential IO - 420 MHz LVDS Virtex II Pro, single ended IO - 266 MHz (HSTL 1.8V); differential IO -

420 MHz LVDS Virtex 4, single ended - TBD (can't say right now, looks too good); differential - 500 MHz LVDS

Your mileage may vary depending on loading, etc.

My numbers are for the commercial operating range, and all speed grades (as IO does not vary by speed grade much at all).

Aust> Is it documented anywhere what the practical upper limits are, in terms of

Mbps, for the various Virtex2 output buffer

do I need to use LVDS or HSTL, or can a

HSpice sims, but can I extract this

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Thanks, Austin. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I'll figure something out. When will CML be available as a SelectIO option? Virtex 4?

Robert

Mbps, for the various Virtex2 output buffer

1.2Gbps), do I need to use LVDS or HSTL, or can a

HSpice sims, but can I extract this

Reply to
Robert Sefton

Thanks, Austin. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I'll figure something out. When will CML be available as a SelectIO option? Virtex 4?

Robert

Mbps, for the various Virtex2 output buffer

1.2Gbps), do I need to use LVDS or HSTL, or can a

HSpice sims, but can I extract this

Reply to
Robert Sefton

Hi Austin,

Could you please post a link to this tool?

Thanks, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

out. When will CML be available as a SelectIO

Reply to
Symon