Just a matter of time

Over the years I have gotten a lot of junk email from Xilinx to email addresses that I have given out only to support and never to any marketing channel. I have always been disappointed that Xilinx has done this. But now they have sunk to a new low, they are giving or selling my email address to third party junk emailers.

I guess I should not be surprised at this since it is getting to be the norm rather than the exception. Everyone seems to think it is perfectly ok to post a non-"privacy" statement saying in typical crypto-speak that they share your information with anyone that suits them. I have found that if I contact a vendor directly and say I want to opt out of their "privacy" policy and they should not share my info with anyone at all, they will honor this. But why is this necessary? Why can't a privacy policy be a PRIVACY policy and not a NON-privacy policy?

Am I alone in being irritated by these practices?

Reply to
rickman

I get so much spam anyway whatever comes from such sources is just trivial. I hope oneday spammers will get their just deserts. Death is too good for them.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

Is that why they invented wood-chippers?

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"	Don Seglio Batuna
Reply to
Don Seglio

rickman schrieb:

I see that too. I think it is bad business practice. It does not make me feel that I can share sensitive information with them in a webcase or similar.

And who knows whom Foundation ISE sends your source codes to. If a company sees cloak and dagger methods as part of their business model you can not trust them anymore.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Kolja Sulimma schrieb:

and did you notice that in ISE 8.2 there is now also a WEB-TALKBACK feature that ask you to submit your design statistics to Xilinx !? (similar to Altera software)

however if in Altera enabling the talkback enables the free use of jtag logic analyzer features then the talkback in Xilinx is simple additional burden for you and you get nothing in return !

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Get thunderbird (it's free) and turn on the junk mail controls (they work well)

Most vendors set email defaults=ON in the fine print whenever I fill out a registration form. I no longer even bother trying to shut these things off. I just click the Junk button on Thunderbird when I get the first email. From then on, it all goes directly to a junk folder for 14 days and then is converted to wood chips.

-- Mike Treseler

note to vendors:

When I need something from you, I check your web site, not my old emails. Drop the email spew, and use the money to get new information to your websites quickly, where I can find it easily, and without filling out more forms.

Reply to
Mike Treseler

right on.

i have recieved no junk from altera, but somehow i'm getting junk from xilinix, even though the web download of the fpga tool failed. do they think i am that impressed that they need to promote me to use their stuff?

altera all the way.

cheers

p.s. even lattice are better on the speil side with no excess s**te.

Reply to
jacko

Because ISE uses the IE ActiveX control (on Windoze), it is source blocked from any internet access on this system. They don't feel the need on Linux, (obviously, because it doesn't exist) so why use it on Windoze?

Hint: ActiveX _is_ the problem. Any process that uses the IE activeX controls is blocked from access in both directions, so it's not just Xilinx, but it does seem silly. Why not just invoke web requests through $BROWSER?

So - no, Xilinx gets no statistics from me, even though I might actually be willing to share.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Thanks Peter. Of all the things a vendor can do to tick me off, spam is pretty high on the list. I would really appreciate any help in getting Xilinx to stop this.

I once received similar junk email to an address I had given only to Altera. When I contacted them they had no idea how it was given out, or at least that is what they told me. So Xilinx is not alone.

Peter Alfke wrote:

Reply to
rickman

Reply to
Peter Alfke

for me to use xilinx the following would have to be rectified,

  1. the ISE download page has to work, or a binary via email option.
  2. send at most 1 e-mail per month, with all bulitins in it. this leads to a more focused read rather than snippits. which i treat as unwanted hype.

6 emails telling me welcome and no binary is just piss poor.

cheers.

Reply to
jacko

One thing to consider here is that automated spam bots try out random email addresses regularly, especially for big domains like hotmail and gmail. Thus you should not take it for granted that Xilinx, Altera, or anyone else has leaked or sold your email address. If you make a new address " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com", you are going to get spam pretty quickly even if you never use the address. Add to that the fact that some of the big free email providers have leaked address lists (both accidentally, and intentionally), and you can see that there's a definite spam risk before you get to Xilinx marketing conspiracies. Of course, I could be wrong - you could be using completely unguessable addresses and Xilinx could be passing on your address.

Reply to
David Brown

I hear what you are saying, but this spam was targeted to FPGA users. Like I said, I had this happen once before with Altera. I started getting spam emails from a third party that was affiliated with Altera indirectly. I expect it was a matter of Altera shared the mail list with party A and party A shared it (properly or improperly) with party B who starting sending me the spam.

Worse, I could not get them to take me off the list. They were emailing web links and the return address was not functional. Trying to contact the advertising sponser was not effective so I complained to Altera... twice. They finally responded and I stopped receiving the emails. We'll see what it takes to stop the spam to the Xilinx address. I want to say it was a distributor who sent the spam emails. It may have been due to a request I made for an eval board through the Xilinx web site. They use your "account" information and likely that got passed to the disti who is not sending the spam. So far I have not heard anything back from Xilinx.

Reply to
rickman

Hello rickman, el al,

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced regarding SPAM emails. Xilinx does not, now or ever, sell or provide email addresses, or any information, to any third party company. As the Xilinx EDM Manager I assure you that I take Xilinx customers' privacy very seriously. Please see the Xilinx privacy policy here:

I would like to fully investigate this issue and clear it up as soon as I can.

Using the email addresses I have found associated with the message board posting here I have searched our databases I have not found any violations and, most often, find that the email addresses used by the members posting here are not in the Xilinx customer database that gets used for push email and Webcast invitations.

I am looking forward to fully investigating any specific issues anyone has with email being received from Xilinx or any third party that you may feel received your email address from Xilinx. In order to do so I would like to have an example of one of these emails. To that end I would invite, and strongly encourage, you to send me the email addresses at which you received the emails and, ideally, forward any email that you feel you have gotten from one of the SPAM companies you feel received you name from Xilinx. Please send or forward this information to: edm snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com at your earliest convenience.

For any emails that you receive in the future that you feel is SPAM or an email from a company that Xilinx has sold your information to I would ask that you forward those emails to me @ edm snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com as soon as they occur. I will investigate.

It pains me when I read something like these posts on a message board. And I do understand your frustration and would greatly appreciate your assistance in solving this issue. I am devoted to enforcing Xilinx privacy policy.

rickman wrote:

Reply to
Xilinx Edm Manager

I appreciate your response. I will be sending you the info you have requested.

I am curious, what does EDM stand for?

Xil> Hello rickman, el al,

Reply to
rickman

Reply to
Xilinx Edm Manager

Reply to
Xilinx Edm Manager

If it was FPGA trageted, and from a Disti, then that's not what most users would call spam ? - so perhaps you should clarify the company and content ?

eg I just got an offer to upgrade my Xilinx Modelsim, from the Mentor Model sim channel, and that's probably part of the conditions of the Xilinx-Mentor tie up, to allow Mentor to fish for upgrades.

Maybe someone in Xilinx can clarify this 'more grey' area ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville