Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

Hello from Gregg C Levine
I have here an XC3020, and matching configuration storage EEPROM, an
XC1736DPC, the were originally purchased for another project. We ended up not
doing that project. Now we'd like to use both for something completely
different.
Are these parts still supported by Xilinix? Has anyone heard differently? We'd
also
prefer to do the programming under Linux.
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

different.
also

The 3000 series hasn't been supported for years. As for programing it in
Linux, Linus was in grade school when the 3000s were current so you aren't
going to find any Linux native tools that support them. However you should
be able to run the old DOS based XACT tools under wine.

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...
not
different.
We'd
also

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
Now where'd I go about obtaining the older XACT series of tools from? I don't
suppose the company still has them.......
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

You might be better off selling these parts on the gray market to
someone who is still using them (I purchased some recently) and
upgrading to the Spartan. The Webpack tools are free and the parts,
besides being much better, are cheap.

Tom

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?
Let me say it loud and clear once more:
The only meaningful use for FPGAs of the XC3000, 4000 and 5200 vintage is in
existing equipment that for some reason cannot be redesigned.
Otherwise donate these obsolete parts to the landfill, and use modern Virtex
and Spartan parts instead.
This applies especially to our dear educators.
Just because we have got our grey hair fighting the hardware and software
limitations in the olden days, that is no reason to contaminate young minds.
FPGAs are an exciting way to learn, try out, and implement all sorts of
logic. Just stay away from the musty stuff of the previous century !
Peter Alfke

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

Is there anyone working on a museum of FPGA history?

While I agree that they don't have any practical value for
current designs, they may have historical value.

Also, as Peter says, there may be a small number of people
who need the software to keep old systems running.

-- glen

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?
not
different.
We'd also

I believe Foundation series 1.4, 2.1,...support the 3000 parts, and
they were window sw, nice tools but they are also obsolete. :(

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?

Hi
You have the same problem I have the difference is that my component
in XC3042 we have to get XACT 4.12 or 5.0, the foundation series only
support the family XC3000A to up,if you get one of these programs
please send me and if I get them I will send you
It`s a shame what xilinx does to force to purchase of newer components
and not putting in her website the old softwares
In my case I`m a professor and received a donation of these components
to iniciate the study of my students and we don`t have money to buy
newer components

Regards

Thales Belchior

Re: Is the Xilinix XC3020 atill supported?
Thales,

Contact the Xilinx University Program to obain a grant of some useful
components and software.

http://www.xilinx.com/univ /

We do not want you to teach students using obsolete and antiquated
technology, we will supply you with what you need to teach them using
current technologies.

Austin

Site Timeline