Development Platform for begginer

Hi,

I've got a little knowledge about fpga's. I've used for fun spartan2 at school. I'm interested in embedded systems in view of operating systems. Which development platform (starter kit) do you suggest for such a person like me ?

My expectations are:

  • low costs,
  • "helpfull hand" - projects from which I can learn, gain knowledge, documentation (I haven't met ppl yet here who would help me with it - that's why it's so important for me as it gonna be my very begging with this stuph),
  • included good development software (with cores which would allow me to start to play),
  • features of platform (ethernet, usb, video, audio, connectors etc).

The nice thing would be to have PCI. Either edge or slot.

XUP Virtex-2 Development Platform

- it cought my attention. Are there better platforms ?

Thanks.

Reply to
gburx

For the price, if you are a student, the XUP is a very nice board. The problem however is that it has a XC2VP30. So webpack doesn't work with it?? I think that is correct, I have not verified it. But anyway, think about the price of ISE and EDK as well. I personally do like the XUP though.

Reply to
dc_rockclimbing

One worth looking at - if you want Spartan-3 and PCI - is the "Raggedstone" from Enterpoint.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Brian Drummond wrote: ..

.. This looks greate, but it costs 1.2k$

Here are nice boards but all of them cost >>1k$

gburx

IIFC, the Xilinx guys (Peter and Austin) have said that Xilinx offers big discounts on devlopment boards to students. Other companies may offer discounts as well. HTH

-Dave P

Reply to
Dave Pollum