Altera SoPC builder command line system generator

According to "Reference Manual SOPC Builder PTF File":

"The System Generator Program can also be run from the command-line independent from the GUI. When the System Generator Program runs, it must read system design data from a PTF file. The name of the PTF file is given as a command line argument to the System Generator Program."

But how do I run the system generator from the command line?

The GUI appears to buld a script called SYSTEM_generation_script, but this seem to use an arguement ($1) which I can't seem to guess since I will get an malformed argument error in wiz_utils.pm later.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Hi Petter,

This is a back-end feature of SOPC Builder (as nearly all of our Nios/SOPC-related tools are currently command-line based) and as its not visible to the customer ordinarily. As such we don't document it beyond what you saw in the PTF doc (which is pretty close to an internal engineering doc as far as our documentation goes).

That said, to generate your system from the command line, try this from the Nios SDK (Bash) shell:

  1. Switch to the directory where your Quartus project/SOPC Builder design files are.
  2. Type: sopc_builder --generate=1

The above assumes that you have a correctly formatted .ptf file ready to go.

Jesse Kempa Altera Corp. jkempa at altera dot com

Reply to
Jesse Kempa

Thank you for your advice. I think I found the problem. I was thinking that SYSTEM_generation_script was self contained. It appears that there is a problem with the handling or interpretation of the argument

--sopc_perl. It seems like the --sopc_perl in the SYSTEM_generation_script does not do very much. However, If I set the environment variable SOPC_PERL to point at the supplied perl version ($QUARTUS_HOME/linux/perl561) it works!

I like the way the SOPC builder will build a script (SYSTEM_generation_script) which will build the system just like it was done in the GUI. However, it appears that this script isn't completely standalone. But as I said, if I set SOPC_PERL it will work.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?