which IDE for MSP430XX family ???

we use the Quadrafox Compiler/Debugger now for many years
as our standard IDE.  We use C as Programming language in our firm.
But the integrated JTAG Debugger is very bad
to use and the generated code is not very good. (optimization).

So what do you use for compiling Projects for the MSP Family ?
I heard the IAR Compiler is not realy the first choice, and
also very expensive.

Frank D.
snipped-for-privacy@handshake.de

Re: which IDE for MSP430XX family ???

I use the Imagecraft compiler. http://www.imagecraft.com/software
They just released the (probably) last update to the version 6 compiler
for the MSP430 family. A version 7 release will likely be out later this
year, to go with their V7 compilers for AVR processors and ARM cores.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: which IDE for MSP430XX family ???

IAR is a terrible choice for any project, given their licensing and
"support".

If you want an IDE, I'd recommend Rowley's CrossWorks
(www.rowley.co.uk). They also target some other micros.

Re: which IDE for MSP430XX family ???

On TI's page there's the Code Composer Essentials for download (8k
limit for eval). It uses the free Eclipse IDE.

If you want to get everything for free, you can use Eclipse
(www.eclipse.org) with msp-gcc and Insight/gdb debugger
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc). Integrate to Eclipse
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/mspgcc /. Imagecraft would be a more
tidy package, but it costs something ;-)

  - Jan

Site Timeline