What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

 Hello All,

My current project is to interface the display to the controller that gets the data through a Ethernet port and displays it on P10 LED display.

I have a 16X32 P10 LED display. I have to make a 32X64 display with four such displays.
The controller gets the data from either Zigbee or Ethernet (Using HTTP or TCP/IP protocol), extracts the information from the received packets and finally displays it on the Matrix Display.

Can someone suggest me what is the best controller that has both Zigbee and Ethernet for interfacing the Matrix display (Preferred would be Ethernet since interested to get the data from the Ethernet) ?

Software is the most important aspect since no where I got the information about the display code for P10 display and getting or communicating through the Ethernet.

I thought of going with PIC controllers but no where the code is available for getting the data from the Ethernet and interfacing the display.

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

You didn't mention a required frame rate, but
if it's not too high you could use an ESP8266
WiFi controller. The ESP8266-12 has several
GPIO, UART, SPI, and programs in the Arduino
environment.

The advantage is that you don't have to use
up GPIO integrating a uC with a separate WiFi
solution.

Connectivity code examples generally come with
the Arduino IDE.

HTH

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

THanks for the reply,..
It looks ok for me but there is  no ethernet port...

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

[snip]

It's WiFi, yes. When you mentioned Zigbee,
I assumed a wireless solution was OK.

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

Your static requirements state a Zigbee/Ethernet to shift register
output converter (maybe even SPI compatible).  Just about any MCU will
have GPIOs needed for your display output.  You just need a MCU with
Zigbee or Ethernet.  You really need to understand your cost and dynamic
requirements (like data throughput, frame rate, etc).  That will help
you find the right part (or parts).

JJS

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

s the data through a Ethernet port and displays it on P10 LED display.
such displays.
r TCP/IP protocol), extracts the information from the received packets and
finally displays it on the Matrix Display.
nd Ethernet for interfacing the Matrix display (Preferred would be Ethernet
 since interested to get the data from the Ethernet) ?
n about the display code for P10 display and getting or communicating throu
gh the Ethernet.
e for getting the data from the Ethernet and interfacing the display.

If you don't need to do many pieces I would go for a Raspberry Pi, Beagle B
one, etc. and make a small HAT with the display and the zigbee dongle (if i
t doesn't exist already).

Bye Jack

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

ets the data through a Ethernet port and displays it on P10 LED display.
r such displays.
 or TCP/IP protocol), extracts the information from the received packets an
d finally displays it on the Matrix Display.
 and Ethernet for interfacing the Matrix display (Preferred would be Ethern
et since interested to get the data from the Ethernet) ?
ion about the display code for P10 display and getting or communicating thr
ough the Ethernet.
ble for getting the data from the Ethernet and interfacing the display.
 Bone, etc. and make a small HAT with the display and the zigbee dongle (if
 it doesn't exist already).

Or go for the www.mbed.org boards. Low cost, lot of examples, RTOS, etc.

Bye Jack

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display
s the data through a Ethernet port and displays it on P10 LED display.
such displays.
r TCP/IP protocol), extracts the information from the received packets and
finally displays it on the Matrix Display.
nd Ethernet for interfacing the Matrix display (Preferred would be Ethernet
 since interested to get the data from the Ethernet) ?
n about the display code for P10 display and getting or communicating throu
gh the Ethernet.
e for getting the data from the Ethernet and interfacing the display.

Very easy with a Propeller chip and one of my MagJack format W5500 WIZnet m
odules for the hardwired Ethernet. I have server code for HTTP/FTP and Teln
et while the Propeller chip with its multiple cores handles I/O tasks easil
y. I'm guessing though that you either use shift registers or a decoder for
 the 32 columns with 16 I/O directly driving the rows. Telnet is a way of s
ending commands and data to it serially, or you could go Zigbee just as eas
ily.
pubdoc at https://goo.gl/9si6iV

Peter

Re: What is the best Microcontroller for interfacing the Matrix Display

How about https://www.wiznet.hk ?

cheers
Gunther

Site Timeline