transfering binary file using hyperterminal

hi all,
  I want to transfer and receive a binary file using hyperterminal to
the soft core processor through UART.Is it possible?
Please can anybody give me guidelines to do this?Can anyone give me an
example of how to write a binary file?is there a particular format for
doing this?I want to send stream of binary bits through the
hyperterminal to the processor.
Thanx.

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

Use _anything_ but Hyper-Loser-Terminal.

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

I'm using the X-modem protocol for it. Hyperterminal knows
it.

Google for 'xmodem protocol'.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

So that we don't end up with yet another "my terminal program is better
than your terminal program" thread in this newsgroup, please have a look
at the newsgroup archives or search the web.  In summary, Hyperterminal
seems to work for some people and for some uses, but there are hundreds of
far superior terminals available (mostly free, some commercial) to suit
all tastes.  No one who has switched from Hyperterminal has ever looked
back.  So get hold of a real terminal program, and downloading binary
files should be obvious in use and entirely reliable.

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

Possible: sure.  It may be harder to achieve with HT than with a
proper terminal program.

These questions suggest that your real problem is not in the
transmission of those data, though.  You rather apparently haven't
thought through the "why" before attacking the "how" question:

1) UARTs don't send "streams of bits" --- they send bytes.

2) If you don't even know how to create a binary file, why do you think
   you should be sending it to your micro?

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

We already determined in comp.arch.fpga that your MicroBlaze and one of
the Xilinx UART cores could transfer the data.  Now check what binary
transfer protocols your terminal program supports, find source code for
that protocol, and implement it on the MicroBlaze end.

--
Dan Henry

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

Yes.

Xmodem etc ...

???

So you want to send a file that you can't even create????

Baffled!

Al.

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal
I wanted a simple terminal for testing some UART routines. The group here
is right there are very many excellent programs. I picked these because
they were simple and the settings are right there on the GUI

On Linux I use CuteCom when I want a simple program, it is low frills,
frankly, but never crashes which was becoming a problem for me on other
terminals.

http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/

On Windows Bray++ Terminal for Windows is good.
https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

What you probably want for creating the binary data file is a "hex editor".
Again, there are very many, but I am currently using Bless on Linux, there
is also a Windows port.

http://home.gna.org/bless/

Here is a comparison of hex editors, I see trusy emacs can do the job, I'll
have to try that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hex_editors

Re: transfering binary file using hyperterminal

Since you mentioned Emacs regarding hex editors, I just wanted to
mention Emacs also includes a simple serial terminal as well. Starts
with M-x serial-term and it then asks for a port and speed. Port
settings are configurable from the status bar. I've used it in Windows
and Linux. No binary file transfers though.

Site Timeline