Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

I need to build a quick and dirty prototype of an appliance that
requires a small, low-resolution color LCD. I'm looking for an
off-the-shelf module that includes a controller and video RAM so that
I can interface it easily to an AVR. Resolution 80x60 would be enough,
4:3 aspect ratio (or close to it) is mandatory. 2" diagonal or smaller
is the size range I'm looking for. Four-level grayscale would probably
be acceptable. The main thing is, I need to be able to buy it in a
onesie for a one-time project.

The Hantronix HDM1216C-2 is the closest thing I've found so far, but
it's a non-stock item at Mouser and I haven't got a reply on the
leadtime yet. Plus, it's 160x120 and that's more resolution than I
need.

Any other candidates people can suggest?

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?
Following up to myself:

Immediately after I posted this, the customer emailed me to say that a
grayscale first prototype would be acceptable too. So I expand the
request to include a grayscale 1.8" or smaller graphic module, at
least 64x64 pixels with 4 gray levels and on-board controller (COG or
module, I don't care) :)

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

How about the display out of this:
http://www.hasbro.com/videonow /

Reverse engineering efforts:
http://www.wsu.edu/~zocher /

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?
Hi Jim,

The LCD itself is great, but I'd need a controller.

This is reverse-engineering the PVD disk format, not the hardware
itself :( But thanks for the response, in any case.

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?
check out www.cybiko.com

160x100 4grayscale, keypad, 17mhz uP, serial, usb, etc...

greg

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?
On 4 Sep 2003 10:00:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)

This doesn't meet your specs, but here it goes anyway,
could be useful for other embedded projects:

The Sega Dreamcast VMS/VMU  ("Visual Memory
System/Unit") has a 32x48 pixel LCD + CPU & 128K
flash memory for around $25.
(The display is probably 1 bit deep)

See http://www.maushammer.com/vmu.html ,
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~fezzik/virtualboy/vms.html ,
http://mc.pp.se/dc/ ,
http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/myfiles.html , etc.

Roberto Waltman

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

Have you looked at the screens in some of the newer phones ?

couple of projects on avr freaks using nokia 7110 screens(96x64)
 http://www.avrfreaks.com/Freaks/freakshow.php?action3D%2&projectid3D%92
http://www.avrfreaks.com/Freaks/freakshow.php?action3D%2&projectid3D%154

Alex

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

Maybe this will work for you (and the price is right!)

http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid82%58

regards

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?
Hi Robert,

Very nice product, and the price is great - but it doesn't have a
controller. It needs to be driven in realtime; I need a display module
where I can just write the data once and have the LCD self-refresh.
There aren't many modules like this available.

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

Hmmm, you are right. This would be a mess to program in a hurry.

Regards (and good luck)
  Robert Monsen

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

I just interfaced one these to my gate array board.
Hardest part was building a pcb to deal with the fine traces
of the 22 pin connector. The Verilog code to get it working was easy.

The only problem is I could not get the led lamp to work. Even
sacraficed my spare taking it apart to try and see how it was wired
up. I could get the leds to light by applying power directly to them,
but not at the connector.

Still it is a cheap way to experiment with an lcd display.

Re: Tiny color graphic LCD w/controller?

Colour Gameboy ?. Apparently Z80 processor and loads of info and
projects on the web, like digital scopes etc...

Chris

--
Aerosystem Designs