steps towards industrial design

Could anyone test the even distribution of power from a PIC based white
noise generator? It would be great to hear from somebody with an audio
workshop....

More generally I am very interested in joining forces  with one or two
embedded engineers (possibly around the world communicating by email type
platforms) to build industrial experience

So far I have been completing a number of PIC and 68HC11 based embedded
projects programming in C and assembler. Although I find these chips a bit
limited and would be interested in working on other platforms too. I have
built on experience as an
electronics grad in the Sound and instrumentation industry to give familiar
themes (signal generators, professional Peak meters,  function
generators, combination locks, bit streaming D to A converter) a bit of a
twist( for example especially eliminating precision rectifiers and other
associated hardware). I am
building a portfolio of chips that contain these programs that I will
advertise on my website, I have got quite a long way (eg working and tested
programs) with 6 or so designs already, although as to how to market these
(if there is a
market!) I have no idea (are there any people that already supply  such
devices that can make any suggestions?).

Regarding how I would fit into such a community, I suppose it would be great
to get some of my designs built into prototypes and tested and receive
constructive criticism. I would be very happy to do (myself) for others,
some code monkey donkey work, to muddle my animal analogies a bit (writing
small bits of code, developing sub-assembly building blocks, testing
software etc, researching and testing analogue interface designs). I am
especially interested in projects with "real world" objectives (e.g. diesel
engine control) or  educational, scientific, democratic or ecological
objectives. There would have to be a fair way of distributing any profits
fame and adulation (don't hold your breath!) but I for one don't get too
hung up on this - my local job just about pays the rent and I would be happy
just to gain industrial experience in a more friendly context than..um
....industry. (I am also interested - but would have even more to learn
about - DSP platforms). Also Are there any (perhaps college based)
microcontroller clubs that any one knows of?

I would love to hear from anyone about the specific question or with related
requirements, experiences or suggestions about the more general ones.
Steve - South London, snipped-for-privacy@primex.co.uk

Re: steps towards industrial design
Stephen,
  You seem like someone who could help out here...I have a 68HC711 and
am trying everything to write to the on board EEPROM. While I'm an
accomplished C programmer, I'm new at the 68HC711 and have to get
something going. Got any examples I could use.

  On your quest to get involved in the Industrial Process Control
market, I may be able to help you out there....I've been around a bit,
like all over the world (Hibernia, UK, Sahara, India, Ghana, UAE,
Argentina) as a Control SYstems startup engineer on multi million $
projects. This was based on my long background in Control Systems
Software Development and Field Engineering. I have been (and still am)
involved in numerous industrial product developments with micro
controller based solutions. I have a few ideas of what is practical and
what concepts will be marketable and how to implement them in small
micros. At the moment I am intrigued by the TI MSP430 as it comes in a
very small (4mm square) SMT package and is immensly powerful, low
power, and low cost. I have a development system at home and found them
to be very easy  to work with ....worth trying. I just haven't managed
to persuade anyone to use them yet.
  If you are interested maybe we could get something going. I'm in
canada.

In the meantime, I sure would appreciate it if you would lead me to
anything that can help me meet my immediate challenge of getting this
old 68HC711E9 to actually work ....and write to its EEPROM.

Thank,
  Ross Cameron  rosscameron snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

white
audio
two
type
embedded
a bit
have
familiar
of a
other
tested
these
such
be great
receive
others,
(writing
am
diesel
profits
too
be happy
than..um
learn
related

Re: steps towards industrial design

I have decent equipment, but nothing that would do that easily. However,
depending on the bandwidth and degree of precision you need, you might
consider:
  -  recording the white noise (with a flat-response mike, e.g. a
good-quality electret, and a good sound card) into a PC, and running the
resulting .wav through some signal analysis code. Cooledit (etc) has some
spectrum analysis facilities (including, IIRC, power).
  - brute force approach: acquire/build a VCF with a sharp Q, and sweep it
while measuring the results on e.g. a scope. You'll need to do some maths to
convert amplitude to power.

I'm intrigued. I'm an electronics product designer, mostly working in
embedded hardware/software (mostly bare-metal), largely in process control &
comms (also audio). I'm on the South Coast of the UK. Not exactly sure what
you're after - but if a part-time mentor is of any use, I suspect I'd enjoy
it.

Steve
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
http://www.fivetrees.com