Slightly OT: Database for embedded loggers

Hi all,

I have a logging product where the data is downloaded serially over an RS232 or ethernet connection. Typically multiple units are connected on the same network and polled regularly for data by the customer's system. Now it has come time for me to create such system to do the polling and data storage, but I'm not sure where to start. My thoughts are to install an SQL compatible database for the data storage, write a custom piece of software to poll for data and put it in the database, and a web page with scripting for the user to access the data. I have read Borland Interbase would be good for the database, but is there any software anyone can recommend the other things? If someone has implemented a similar system in the past, please give me an idea of where to go from here, difficulties to watch for etc.

Thanks heaps Ross

Ross Marchant

Best of luck in using Borland, my last attempt was to ask them questions and got a LATE reply, answering a DIFFERENT question, with a non-returnable email address (except by going back to web site and issuing ANOTHER question).

That attitude of customers should be kept at ICBM range, stopped me using any of their products for anything.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Simple - MySQL (database) and PHP (scripting and web page generation). Marriage made in heaven. And a very pleasant experience. Versions available for *nix and *indows.

Yell if you need some help. PHP/MySQL is a combination that truly, truly, rocks.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

available

Thanks Steve. Got Apache2, MySQL and PHP5 all working together. I created a database and can store the log files into it nicely. Easier than expected! Now the next part will be to write the program to poll the units and store the data in the database. MySQL comes with C libraries and header files so it might not be all that bad.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant