"Simple" CPU ?

i've build several small boards with AVR microcontrollers.
Now, i'd like to create something with more memory, a
bus for extension cards, and less direct I/O. Well, sounds
like i need a CPU instead of a uC.

Unfortunately most "modern" CPUs i found are pretty
monsters which need lots of extra chips and have lots
of pins.

I'd ideally search for something in microcontroller dimensions
(40-80 pins DIP fitting into a grid style board), just with
busses instead of universial I/O, with only a ROM,a RAM and
an oszilator needed to start operation.

Besides above layout requirements, i'd like
  -(at least)16 bit registers
  -AVR/MIPS style RISC instruction set
  -good free crosscompiler (gcc etc)
  -at least 1 MByte of addressable memory
  -easily available in single quantities
  -no cooler needed

Any such beast?

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

You won't find anything in that package (although I guess you could dig up
an old 68000)

I would suggest one of the arm variants.  The Cirrus logic maverick series
are quite nice, and come in a QFP package that is reasonably friendly.  It's
ARM based, with a couple of Uarts, ether net, timers etc.  Basically uC with
a big external bus that can drive SDRAM or Sram or flash etc.

Ralph

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

An NEC V25+ comes very close.  It's available in a PLCC
package that's easily adapted to wirewrap, just put it in
a throughhole socket and put the socket in a PGA wirewrap
socket.

I can say with much experience that it will work quite
happily on a wirewrap board and is very forgiving of
mistakes.  It also can be configured to have enough
internal ram available for a stack.  You can (and I have)
built a board with nothing more than the V25, a 74HC14
for RS232 level converters and reset generator, a crystal,
an eprom, and a few pullups and bypass capacitors.  On
this you can get a monitor running.

The part has an external memory I/O bus that is very
easy to interface to.

Now the downside:

10-12Mhz max clock, (good for wirewrap)
x86 CISC instruction set
End-of-life in about a year

If you are interested and can't find the part through
distribution, I'm sure we could sell you a few.

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

Hmm... i couldn't find online specs, manuals, or online
shops which offer it. Seems to be hard nowadays to get
anything but desktop CPUs as a hobby developer.

Never hoped for more :-)

Well, i don't like it, but at least thats the IS i know
the best ;-)
Any chance of building any (partialy) DOS-compatible box
with it?

Oops.

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

Re: "Simple" CPU ?
Why not a good old 68000, 68010 or one of their derivatives?
(There are microcontrollers based on a 68k core)

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

Have you looked at Ubicom IP2K/3K ?

NN

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

Looks more like a microcontroller.
IP2K seems to be limited to only a few KB of internal
memory;although it runs at up to 100 MIPS and
can run code in its RAM (AVRs can't).

Still, i think, i should try a "real" CPU :-)

--
                                   Andreas
He screamed: THIS IS SIG!

Re: "Simple" CPU ?

Try with the Rabbit microprocessor (www.rabbitsemiconductor.com). It
has a "modern" package, but you can find very small and cheap modules
with plenty of RAM and Flash memory and connectors easy to manage.

It is an 8 bit microprocessor, but the performances seem to be not so
bad.

Patrick

Re: "Simple" CPU ?
online.com:

The instruction set is wrong, but would the Zilog Z180 fit the bill? I've
never used it, but it looks like there could be a lot going for it -
especially for embedded systems. They seem to be available in "proper",
"solderable-with-poor-eyesight" DIP packages too!

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini info.

--------------F99208B49B8072BD402EFEDD

Andreas Koch scribbled:

You just described the 65816 microprocessor, produced by The Western Design
Center and California Micro Devices.

Information regarding development tools and info (cross assemblers and
cross-compliers, code examples, etc.) can be found at  www.6502.org. Please
note that as of 25 JUL 2003, 3:29 PM EST (US),  the www.6502.org website is
undergoing a bit of construction and re-organization, and some areas may not
be accessible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

RoyalHeart

A thoughtful pause, then resumes the prince, "Thou hast to learn from
Yesterday, but live for Today, and look forward to Tomorrow, for The Past is
The Present, and no less The Future."

--------------F99208B49B8072BD402EFEDD

Andreas Koch scribbled:
href="http://www.westerndesigncenter.com /">The

Western Design Center</a> and <a href="http://www.calmicro.com /">California
Micro Devices</a>.
cross-compliers, code examples, etc.) can be found at&nbsp; <a
href="www.6502.org">www.6502.org</a>.
Please note that as of 25 JUL 2003, 3:29 PM EST (US),&nbsp; the <a
href="www.6502.org">www.6502.org</a>
website is undergoing a bit of construction and re-organization, and some
areas may not be accessible.
Yesterday, but live for Today, and look forward to Tomorrow, for The Past
is The Present, and no less The Future."

--------------F99208B49B8072BD402EFEDD--

Site Timeline