Replacing RS-232 with PCMCIA

I have an existing product, using an 8 MHz 12 cycle 8032, interfaced to
a ruggedized handheld PC via 232 at 9600.  We would like to shrink the
product and put it on a PCMCIA card.  What are some good products and
information resources to come up to speed on the serial->PCMCIA
replacement?  The 8032 code is written in C and could be fairly easily
ported to another processor, if there were an advantage in that.  There
is also an AVR on board, but it interfaces with the 8032, so I don't
think its a consideration in the switch.

Thanks,
Thad

Re: Replacing RS-232 with PCMCIA

The PCMCIA bus is basically the same as ISA.  The fast and
dirty solution would be to put a 16x50 UART on the card so that
it looked like a normal PC serial port and then hook your 8032
to that serial port.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm pretending I'm
                                  at               pulling in a TROUT! Am I

Maybe switch the AVR/8032 to the AT94K FPSLIC AVR+FPGA
I have had customers doing PCCARD with FPSLIC; and it is quite a nice fit.

You can emulate the 16550 UART in the FPGA, should not be too hard.
The onchip DPRAM should be excellent as FIFOs for the 550.

There are chips with PCCARD interfaces + ARM, but you need quite high volume
for those.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

1) USB using the chips from ftdichip.com

2) PCMCIA using the chips from oxsemi.co.uk

Oxsemi makes 16C550 compatible UART named OX16C950
and can be switched to diffent bus modes at reset.
This way you have a single chip solution with the
complex addressing modes of PCMCIA.

Both attempts do not require writing own drivers
becouse they are free from the semi makers for
most windows systems. Your application sees virtual
com port and dont need any changes. Of coarse in
case of PCMCIA you can add own eeprom with custom
data and write own CIS

Site Timeline