Re: Embedded contract work wanted. - Page 2

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

According to the Worldwide 2001 Cost of Living Survey City Rankings,
The world's most expensive cities were Tokyo, Moscow, and Hong Kong
and the least expensive city surveyed was Blantyre, Malawi followed
by Bangalore, India.  If anyone has more recent figures, please post
them.

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

The current top cities:
1. Tokyo
2. London
3. Moscow

Bottom:
1. Asuncion, Paraguay
2. Montevideo, Uruguay
3. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/11/pf/costofliving /

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
I live in Bangalore and i know its damn costly.
Software jobs do not need a luxury space and therefore not costly
for the US companies to set up here.
In all if you compare the average pay Vs the avg cost of living -
Bangalore is costly. If you go by sheer numbers bangalore is very
cheap.
btw , Guy thanks for your postings on continuous eeprom chksum that i
had started.
-Vishal

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

The average price of a house in the UK is about 140k ($250k). That's not
likely to be four-bedroomed, its from lender's statistics. 140k where I
live gets you a very small house indeed.

ngs trimmed to c.a.e

Peter

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

The average UK price for a detached house is 235k ($435k).

http://www.themovechannel.com/sitefeatures/uk-house-prices/2004-june-htn.pdf

Andy

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:41:19 GMT, "Peter Dickerson"

Average house price in Melbourne is about AUS $350,000. (US $247,000)

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
Hi All
I see the thread is a bit old now but I would still like to ask a few
questions regarding contract work.

1.    How do contractors handle the issue of compilers?

I am a director/shareholder in a company that develop very specific
devices for our needs, so it hardly keeps me busy, as a result I started a
new company just do embedded developments, but It can hardly stay busy (not
to mention in business).  I find the biggest barrier to entry is the cost
of compilers. I can see a way to help the customer and get his product
manufactured within target but if I tell them to pay for development tools
and dev kits they start backing of. I can’t always use Microchip products
or base all designs on AVRs or 8051, maybe ARMs cover a bigger range but a
MDK compiler cost 3k Euros and that is too costly for most. What to do??

2.    Is it really practical to work on embedded/hardware projects if you are
not at least in striking distance of the client?

I tried having work done in china and India but can’t seem to find a
model that fits, the firmware is just never good enough. I find their work
mediocre and almost without exception have to redo it all. Firmware need to
be of quality, you just don’t have the resources and speed of a PC so it
must be as optimized as possible, or do I have unrealistic expectations.
Big difference between a system that just works and one that works well.

Thank you in advance.

---------------------------------------
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.
Quite a mouth full, thank you for the feedback.

So the basic feeling is that I must stop crying like a little girl, suck
it up and pay. Accepted.

Just a few more questions:

How can I rate programmers for contract work?

And how should I go about getting work in, keeping in mind I am a bit
isolated?

---------------------------------------
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: Embedded contract work wanted.

If I could I wouldn't ask. Seriously!!

If someone tells me they can code on embedded platforms I would like to
believe them, as naive as that may be. But if I spend my days teaching code
writers the basics of electronics and even how to read a damn datasheet,
then in my opinion they can’t do embedded work. So how do you tell the
code writers from the embedded engineers? This thread started with the
gentleman underselling himself and talking about doing other work to stay
alive. That worries me – honestly, I won’t employ him, something
doesn’t sound right. But my objective here is to find work for my arias
of expertise and outsource the parts we can’t handle to competent
people.

Thank you again for all the comments and Advice so far, I have placed some
bids on rentacoder, so lets what happens.

This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Site Timeline