"Non-volatile" OS ? - Page 2

Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?

What about Symbian OS ?  AFAIK one can use the gcc
toolchain. It is 32-bit, and runs in fairly small memory footprint.
About the USB support I am not so sure, but I think it would be
available.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?
Does Symbian support the automatic save-and-restore of applications I'm
looking for on power-cycle ?
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?

I do not know. It is used in cell phones and PDAs, so it should be
more geared towards this sort of functionality than the more
traditional OSes. For maximum power saving, these sort of devices
have to be able to basically shut down completely - and are then
woken up on some external signal or event.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?

Obviously you will need to augment any OS with suitable logic for save
and resume.  Given you earlier comment about recovering in
milliseconds, I suggest a combination of

1. enough storage energy to ride out transient outages when
millisecond-type response is needed, and

2. application-level save and restore functions for orderly shutdown
and restoration for longer outages.  I would not expect the longer
outages to be restored in milliseconds.

Thad

Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?

If you want a fully automatic "hibernation", a small PC is the
solution.

Sciopta (and OSE :-) support a semi-automatic version. Means it is
you responsibility to get the processes into a state for power-down
and make some kind of checksum over the saved data.
On power-up you may re-check and re-init certain peripheral (which is
done by the BIOS in a PC) than tell the RTOS that you did a resume
rather than a cold-boot.
This is used e.g. in BlueTooth chips where the ARM inside is most of
the time not powered.

--
42Bastian
Re: "Non-volatile" OS ?

Hmm, I know at least two RTOS which provide a resume to the state
before power-down (my old employer ENEA and my new ones Sciopta).

But I am sure other provide similar features.
--
42Bastian