Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

Due to a PCB "oops" in an embedded project, I'm wondering if anyone
knows where to buy mini-usb cables with all 5 pins plus the connector
shield wired through.

I saw some indication that a motorola bar code scanner might have used
the connector for RS232 and used all the wires, but am not doing well
on sourcing those cables.

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

The most common 5 pin mini is the USB-AM to MINI-5P
if you are talking about something like this, then there are only 4
wires plus the shield at the USB-AM end.

Or do you mean MINI-5P to MINI-5P?
I think you may need to get them manufactured to suit.
What quantity are you talking?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

Yes, and unfortunately the 4 wires connected in that cable are not the
same four as got used on our PCB.  USB usage skips the 4th pin in from
the end and then uses the 5th.  This is not a USB application, so it
would probably need to be a cable intended for some other non-usb or
more-than-usb custom application.

Right now, a half dozen to cut the other end off of and use in the
lab.  Production quantities are somebody else's headache.  It wasn't
my idea in the first place.

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

Why not use the available cable and white wire your proto boards?  Are
you trying to avoid a respin of the board?

Rick

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?
snip

If I understand the problem isn't the easy fix as simple as adding a
little solder to pin4 so that is shorts with pin5?

-Lasse

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

And ungrounding pin 5...

...and cutting the overmold off the connector, threading some copper
braid over the  cable, and soldering it to the shell.

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

ok, I see what you mean :)

how about just the connector and solder the cable yourself?
e.g. H2955-ND from digikey

-Lasse

Re: Mini USB cable with all 5 pins + shield = 6 wires?

May go with that at some point...  except for the little "quantity
available: 0"

I think I'm glad this part of the problem isn't actually mine to deal
with.

Site Timeline