Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

I have regular winxp pro, but would like to a use a super-slimmed down
version of it to put in an embedded device for my senior project next
year.

Is it possible to make such a version from my xp?

Ben

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

Better try Embedded XP

Meindert

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

How slim? What do you need to run?
The minimum requirements for Windows XP Pro are here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

You'll have to buy another Windows XP license. Does it have to be Windows?
Depending on your requirements it might be worth looking at Linux.

Peter

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install
The answer is XPE (Windows XP Embedded), see your dear Microsoft
representative. You will get a standard XP but with a tool to reconfigure it
to remove all unused components. However "super-slimmed down" is perhaps a
little too aggressive with XP... Alternatives are CE and Linux...
Cheers,

--
Robert Lacoste
ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

In other words, there's no point in doing this for your senior year project
unless you can do it in some new or better way than XPE.  It's typically
required for senior projects to be unique.

--
MT

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

reconfigure

project
typically

I didnt say it was my senior project.  My embedded application rns on a
PC-104 card (x86 based) and Id like to add an OS.

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

Has it got to be Windows XP? It largely depends on what you want your
operating system to do, but how about going back to Windows 98? You can
slice that down to very small sizes, but 98 isn't the most stable of
platforms. A small Linux distro may be a better way to go.

Rich.

Re: Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

Try Look at
http://www.litepc.com /

The Win98 freeware version was good, but I think the XP versions requires a
full install first, which can then be pared back to be smaller.

A possible better way would be to use Barts PE Builder
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder /

This allows you to build a WindowsXP like system, but you need to specify
what you want it to do, it is not really general purpose.

Vincent

Site Timeline